Questions for your JW Friends & Family

by tallguy345 5 Replies latest jw friends

• tallguy345
    tallguy345

I've gotten nowhere debating theology with the JWs in my life as a result of circular logic. Lately I've taken a different approach.

----

Are you 100% sure of your beliefs?

Have you proven them to yourself?

Are you willing to bet your very existence on it?

Do you love me?

If a friend was dying of cancer, would you spend their last days with them?

If you could live for a day with me or an eternity without me, which would you choose?

How real is paradise to you?

Do you understand the implications?

Will you remember me in paradise?

If so, will you have any regrets? (Will you miss me?)

What happens if you change your mind?

What is your definition of free will?

Uncomfortable answering any of these questions? Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to think about it in paradise.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

tallguy345: If you could live for a day with me or an eternity without me, which would you choose?

You shouldn't ask questions for which you won't like the answers?

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Are you 100% sure of your beliefs? Have you proven them to yourself? Are you willing to bet your very existence on it?

These three was what got me to research religions in general. After all, if my everlasting life depended on my finding the right belief system and following it, I would make darn sure I know what that belief system was. For me, it was a simple choice, follow the WT or stay with my previous beliefs in Christianity. The Watchtower lost very quickly. After a while I began to see that even my previous beliefs cannot be 100% certain either.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I question I like to use is, "If you knew you had the ability to prove your beliefs true beyond all doubt and failed to act, what would Jehovah think of you in the afterlife?" This is a particular favorite of mine when I ask my wife to prove the selection in 1919, which she fails to even attempt to do. She justifies it by saying that if she did prove, my heart is not willing to receive it. "Great," I thought, "great excuse to justify you're not willing to put ANY effort in it at all." I hope for her sake, Jehovah agrees with her reasoning.

• tallguy345
    tallguy345

"You shouldn't ask questions for which you won't like the answers?"

A fair statement... You'd probably already have a good idea as to what the answers to the questions would be.

I've found topics like these get them to evaluate their own morality. They're the hard questions that they would prefer to not think about.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I tried some of these with my still in daughter and nephew and just get glassy eyed silence from them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit