What would it take?

by Kool Jo 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

What would it take?

So what would it realistically take for some of the current members of the borg to leave? I wasn’t around in 1975, but from what I’ve read and heard, it seems that a quite a few persons left…would love to know how much!

So how extreme, or what changes (doctrinal or otherwise) could cause a reasonable amount of persons to second guess the GB?

Peace

Kool Jo

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Persons will 'leave' only when the organization know as Jehovah's Witnesses ceases to exist.

Even after 1975, dispite the allusion that an exit of many left the 'truth, most stayed 'loyal to the faith'. Suggestions of hundreds or thousands leaving the organization is probably correct, but from a percentage aspect very few threw in the towel and left.

Some did become inactive for a while but many returned after some years ... to wait on jehovah.

Some that became inactive after 1975 left for good in the early eighties after learning about Ray Franz's story. But in reality, most of us might have heard a general retelling of those events but never knew of any details - the Time magazine expose and interview was banned as apostate propaganda.

• Django_Unchained
    Django_Unchained

what time magazine expose? is it available anywhere?

• Flg8ter
  • JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Kool Jo, as far as your op question, I am not sure what it would take besides having an annual meeting that is hooked up to the congregations and the GB saying that the whole thing is a fraud. However we must approach reality.

In the 1960's my dad was a 1975'er, up until about 1973 and then he didn't see things happening like he thought in accordance with the Watchtower Bible and Tract Societies teachings and thought it would take a WEEEEE bit longer maybe 7-8 years.

The late seventies were somewhat difficult, there were still new ones coming in, which made all the old timers "behave", but people like my father were pretty sore with WTBTS and had written letters that were answered with "get your butt in line and tow the rope" verbage. I wish now they would have disfellowshipped him for his letters, but nothing was said by the congregation.

Through the 1980's and 1990's we were all expecting something within the 70-80 mark of the "generation" of 1914. But it never came.

Mom is still alive and is absolute that she will not give up her faith. However, she is not a humble women who would admit a mistake anyway.

I believe it takes a mature person who has humility to accept they have been fooled, "hoodwinked", taken, conned, etc. With many witnesses it crosses the social, religious, family lines and people will stay with their religious beliefs because of a perceived loss of family or social ties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit