The Watchtower: Roots, Shoots, and Those in Cahoots

by neverendingjourney 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I'm typically not a fan of JW criticism from a Christian point of view (the JWs are silly, but everything I believe in is truth), but I think this video does a solid job of putting into historical context the religious influences behind the Jehovah's Witnesses.

It's pretty eye-opening for those who have not yet researched the origins of the religious movement and who, much as I did, once belived the doctrines originated from the "great minds" of past Watchtower Society presidents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_c-PdT0SsE

• cofty
    cofty

Marking thanks.

10/10 for the thread title!

• clarity
    clarity

Interesting video ... amazing to think JW's are only a small part of

that long ago evangelico movement ...all crazy as bat shit, I might add!

>

Now, knowing as we do, the danger and mind control that drove this large bunch

of 'holy rollers', including Russell & the bible students, Koresh & Jones etc .........

does it not creep you out & make the hair on the back of your neck standup, to

contemplate the " obey any instructions we may receive,

whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not." ........

........in the November 15 2013 Watchtower !

>

>

page 20, para 17.

>

How many would actually force the cool-ade on their little children & drink it down themselves?

It can happen again! Think of the jw's who say "even if they are wrong....we will not leave"!

>

Thanks for the post Nerverending!

clarity

"Elders who are reading this article can draw some useful conclusions from the account we have just considered: (1) The most practical step that we can take to prepare for the coming attack of “the Assyrian” is that of strengthening our faith in God and helping our brothers to do the same. (2) When “the Assyrian” attacks, the elders must be absolutely convinced that Jehovah will deliver us. (3) At that time, the lifesaving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to

(4) Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking. The elders must stand ready to help any who may now be wavering in their faith." >
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Many years ago I was witnessing to a guy who had spent some time in Central America with the Peace Corps. There he was introduced to Millenarian thought. In fact, while there he converted to the baha'i faith.

He went as far as reading the Revelation Grand Climax book. He was struck by how similar it sounded to the ideas he was exposed to in Central America, particularly from a Seventh Day Adventist couple he was close to.

It didn't really sink in at the time, but years later after I left the religion and began doing some research it all started coming into focus. Conditional immortality, anti-trinitarianism, gentile times...their eschatology in general, pacifism, Russell was part of a greater movement and many other denominations maintain similar positions on issues which at one time I thought were almost unique to JWism.

Rutherford was able to build a viable religious organization and Knorr after him was able to capitalize on the post WWII environment to grow it into what it is today. Most off the other branches that emerged after the Great Disappointment of 1844 weren't as successful, but that doesn't mean that Russell had any unique insights.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Fascinating thank you, I watched all of it. It begs the question why all of these millenarian groups in the mid-nineteenth century? Does every century have its millenarian groups?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Does every century have its millenarian groups?

I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but Christians began speculating about Christ's return since right after his death (Lord, are your restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time Acts 1:6). The masses didn't have access to the Bible during the Middle Ages, which probably prevented millenarian movements to some degree as the Bible was whatever your priest told you it was.

An interesting thing is that Isaac Newton used his considerable genius to postulate the end of the world in 2060 through his studies of the Bible.

It gets complicated because "Millenarianism" is a more generic term that applies regardless of religion and can be applied to social/political movements. "Millennialism" is a Christian form of Millenarianism and "Millerism" is a subset that describes William Miller's ideas and those of his followers.

Wikipedia actually has entries that describe these movements in great detail.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Actually managed to find this on my shelf because I vaguely remembered it, it's from a primary source book that I studied for my degree and it quotes the Articles of Tabor (c.1480).

First, that in our time there shall be an end of all things, that is, all evil shall be uprooted on this earth.

That this is the time of vengeance and retribution on wicked men by fire and sword so that all adversaries of God's Law shall be slain by fire and sword or otherwise done to death....

The Taborite Bretheren are in this time of vengeance the messengers of God sent to purge away all offences and evil from Christs's Kingdom...

Even now at the end of all the ages, all shall see Christ bodily descend from Heaven to accept his Kingdom here on earth...

Source: Daniel Waley, Later Medieval Europe (London: Longman,1975), pp.136-7 slightly adapting the translation in Joseph Macek, The Hussite Movement in Bohemia, translated by Vilem Fried and Ian Milner, 2nd edn (Prague:Orbis, 1958), pp.130-3.

Of course the Taborites began to spread their vision of the Kingdom by force of arms. They rejected all accepted theology, festivals and churches. Thought it was interesting. I'm sure the Crusaders believed they were bringing the Kingdom of God to earth as well. I suppose it has been going on since the first century. Now cults try to force their vision of the Kingdom on people by separating them from their families.

• scary21
    scary21

This is the lecture I posted about in Terry's post on William Miller.. ( This is the man that made it all happen )

It's a must see for people interested in WT history....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit