hmm...not sure what to do...

by wizardca 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• wizardca
    wizardca

The wife and I found out today she is preggo! We aren't going to share the blessed news with family until the end of the first trimester later this year...if we can hold out and keep it a secret until then. But I don't know what to do with my JW fam.

Brief recap on me: Born-in JW. Faded away 15 years ago. Grandparents and my sisters are in. Got married 2 years ago to non-JW. I DA'd for my own sanity, but family doesn't know. Grandparents and 1 sister did not attend wedding (not held at church) because I got baptized and was marrying on non-JW. 1 sister went to wedding. Had other family (non-JWs) attend wedding. And a celebration it was! So since then, grandmother has sent wedding anniversary card with a little gift inside. Have seen grandparents once since wedding; very akward. Have seen sister who didn't attend wedding a couple times, was strained to say the least.

So we are preggo now and I don't know what to do. I know there will be a baby shower or three held by wife's family (they have a large close family; opposite of mine). I know I should be the better person and probably should invite grandmother and sister to the shower. But really...they couldn't go to my wedding but I know they'd go to this. Is it fair to my wife to invite them? We don't really want anything to do with my sister. They will never be allowed to leech JW teachings or be left alone with child. But at same time, I feel the familial obligation to invite. I know n-non-JW cousins got knocked up and grandma all excited about great-grandchildren. I don't really want to deny her that.

What are ya'll thoughts? Maybe it's too early to be thinking this out but my mind is running crazy with the happy news and stupid JW thoughts of do we invite pop-in. Sigh. Sorry for the ramble.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I think I would understand and agree with either choice you made. I know thats not incredibly helpful. But, I see valid reasons for both and I don't think you would "wrong" to make either choice. I want to say my gut says to invite them only as a way to show you are a happy better person. Be prepared for them not to come, and also try not to care either way. The invite would be just to show that you are a NORMAL person and a bigger person than them.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If you want to invite them and really want them to come and can handle the snub if they don't, go ahead. If not, move on. Pretty simple I'd say.

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome and congratulations on the coming baby!

You might ask your wife how she would like to handle it.

I personally don't see a problem with you inviting anyone you want.

If they decide to shun you, they won't show up.

• nugget
    nugget

I would suggest that as you are not up to date on which celebrations are banned or approved by the organisation that you tell them that you leave it up to them to hold their own baby shower for your wife if they are so inclined so as to avoid offending them by inviting them to a celebration they may not want to participate in. It is so difficult who would have thought a wedding could be offensive so it can be a minefield.

The magazines have mentioned baby showers in the past but I don't remember the exact slant of the article.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

If you want to invite them, do so. Don't worry about what they think -- they'll either accept or not. Don't get bogged down in JW head games, just invite them and let the chips fall where they may.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Behave like any normal human would. If some of your rellies want to behave like cult members, that is their choice and they have to find a way to sleep at night.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Congratulations to you and your wife. xxx

Baby showers are "OK" in dubby land. I went to one hosted by an elder's wife so they were not taboo in that cong. Who knew they were all so different though.

I would invite them and if they come let them see how you have moved on and how happy you are.

The ball will then be in their court and you have been the better person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit