Is it Ok to name a baby ' Messiah'?

by rip van winkle 6 Replies latest social current

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

A Tennessee judge has ordered a baby boy’s name to be changed from “Messiah” after deciding it is a title that has “only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.”

On Sunday, Jaleesa Martin, the baby’s mother, told the station that she planned to appeal the decision.

“I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs,” she said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/12/19986524-baby-cant-be-named-messiah-judge-rules?lite

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I dread to think what its friends would shorten it to.

plus, I definitely think the mother lives in the right county.

I think the judge should leave her religious beliefs out of it though I kind of agree with her decision because of the trouble it may cause for the child. If a judge in the UK said something likethat they'd get a caning.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I have known several Jesus', Mohammed's, Christopher's, etc.

So what's wrong with Messiah?

Gwenyth Paltrow named her son, Moses.

Is it ok for a judge to change a baby's name because of their own personal religious belief?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

In my country "messiah" (in local language version) isn't such an uncommon family name. No biggie.

Eden

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

One of the local anchors said that although the parents are fighting the ruling they might win, just look at how many men in the Hispanic community are named Jesus.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

How about kids called God, King or Prime Minister, or Devil? :)

Messiah is a title really, I've heard worse tho tbh.

or Superman - that's a great name.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Didn't the article say that this went to court because the parents couldn't agree upon a name? I think it makes some difference here that the father wanted the boy's name to be Martin.

I think that the article is shoddy as it only focuses on one sentence from this judge. I don't agree that she should have even said that, but if she was deciding on who had the right to name the child she might have had a point in saying that Martin would be a better for the boy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit