Obsessive Personality Disorder

by turtleturtle 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle
    Obsessive Personality Disorder
    DSM

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders fourth edition, (DSM IV-TR = 301.4), a widely used manual for diagnosing mental disorders, defines obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (in Axis II Cluster C) as: [ 11 ]

A pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

1. is preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost
    2. shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion (e.g., is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met)
    3. is excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity)
    4. is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification)
    5. is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value
    6. is reluctant to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing things
    7. adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes
    8. shows rigidity and stubbornness
  • Londo111
    Londo111

Sadly, I had a JW friend exactly like that.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I peg that meter a bit if I don't get mindful and loosen up. Eventually I do. It's a cycle.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Obsessiveness is not just a JW problem, wider reading indicates its a problem in all Christian groups.

Most typically its seen in their obsession that they must convert non-believers.

• Glander
    Glander

Having just finished reorganizing my desk drawer (what is it with paper clips?) I would point out that some professions, such as accountants, architects and engineers make a living by being focused on little details.

But the general subject of your post is about the obsession with everything in general. We are all "mentally unbalanced" in one area or another. Obama loyalists are a case in point.

Where are you?

Sane------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Crazy

• Quendi
    Quendi

For sixteen months I lived with someone who suffered from OCD, obsessive-compulsive-disorder. That was bad enough, but this man also had all the charm of a skunk. Throw his bigotry, homophobia and racism into the mix and you had a miserable example of a human being. But I learned a lot during that time we shared quarters, especially about how fragile all of us are. This man’s problems were compounded by his refusal to believe that he had a problem in the first place.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit