• messenger
    messenger

Thursday, April 11, 2002

Granny Slain After Church
    Prayed for peace,
    then hit by stray shots in B'klyn

By AUSTIN FENNER and BILL HUTCHINSON
    Daily News Staff Writers

t the age of 66, Gloria Aiken-Logan had seen too much violence in the world, and she prayed daily that her three grandchildren could someday live in peace.

But after praying one last time Tuesday night at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Brooklyn, the Bible-toting churchgoer walked innocently into the middle of violence, and it cost her her life.

It happened seconds after she stepped off a city bus at 9:30 p.m., around the corner from her Bedford-Stuyvesant home.

Gloria Aiken-Logan
    Shots rang out, and her knees buckled as a bullet ripped into the back of her head. Another shot tore through her neatly pressed dress and lodged in her lower back.

She died shortly after arriving at Woodhull Hospital by ambulance.

"This was a terrible tragedy of a woman who was not involved in the dispute at all. She was just getting off a bus," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, who vowed to hunt down the killers.

Cops said the shooting may have been the result of a drug dispute. Several pieces of crack cocaine were found among 9-mm. shell casings at the crime scene on Throop Ave.

The gunplay also left Trevor Herne, 24, of North Babylon, L.I., with a bullet wound to his leg.

A police source said that because Herne apparently was a target of the shooting, he might give cops their best chance at finding the gunmen.

"The individual who was shot, we believe, was involved in the dispute," said Kelly. "We have some leads in that case. We are following up on those leads."

Weekend Reunion

On Saturday, Aiken-Logan had prepared a traditional West Indian dinner of curried chicken and rice for a joyful family reunion she organized at her Quincy St. house.

Yesterday, her family reunited in sorrow to plan her funeral — and reminisce about the jovial spirit that glued them together.

"We had a beautiful weekend together. She was so humorous, she had everyone laughing," said Aiken-Logan's sister Janette McFarlane, 52, of Washington.

McFarlane said the senseless violence that claimed her sister's life was the type of behavior that drove her to pray. She said her sister attended the Kingdom Hall on Madison St. in Bedford-Stuyvesant at least three times a week to pray, not only for her family, but for peace in the war-torn areas around the world that she would read about in the newspapers.

"She talked about the violence. She wondered when it was going to be a peaceful world," said McFarlane, as tears streaked her cheeks. "She had beauty inside, as well as outside."

Born one of 13 children in Trinidad, Aiken-Logan immigrated 35 years ago with her former husband and her only child, David Logan, 46, a father of three.

Relatives said she came here for opportunity and found her calling as a midwife. She retired two years ago.

Yesterday, as her nephew Keith Baron sat on the stoop of Aiken-Logan's brownstone, staring at the azaleas and gladioli she had planted, he wondered how this could happen to such a loving woman.

"Death is a tragedy. No one can get used to it, especially the way she went," said Baron, 39. "At least she was coming from church, and made peace with her God. It's the most comforting part."

With Richard Weir

• messenger
    messenger

. http://www.detnews.com/2002/schools/0204/15/c06-465378.htm

Detroit Student of the week: Jessica Barrow, Crockett Technical High School

By Valerie D. Lockhart / Special to The Detroit News

Who she is: Jessica Barrow, 14, is a freshman at Crockett Technical High School in Detroit.
    Her background: Jessica is the youngest child of Errol and Bobbie Barrow of Detroit. Her mother is an attendance officer at Grant Elementary/Middle School, and her father is a consultant at American Axle. She has two sisters, Shannon, 33, and Dana, 23, and one brother, Jeryl, 31.
    What she has done: Jessica is on Crockett's honor roll with a 3.8 grade-point average. She received a Wade H. McCree Jr. Incentive Scholarship, which requires her to maintain at least a 3.0 grade-point average during high school to receive a four-year scholarship to Wayne State University.
    "Jessica is a very fine young lady," said Arthur Gildon, an elder at the Jehovah's Witnesses Conant congregation. "She expresses herself very well and is sincere about her religious convictions. She is studious and serious."
    Her hobbies: Writing short stories and poems, creating artistic designs on the computer, drawing and reading.
    Her career goals: "After graduating from college, I plan to work as an emergency medical technician. I also plan to return to school to become a trauma care physician. I hope to use my skills in the medical department at the Watchtower Society in Brooklyn, New York."
    Her role models: "My big sister, Dana, is my role model. She was able to accomplish a lot of her goals without losing her spirituality. She has high moral standards."
    Her advice to others: "Keep your priorities and goals in view. Never forget your values and don't compromise your beliefs. Don't forget things and people who are important to you."

Student of the Week is featured three times a month in the On Detroit section. To nominate a Detroit, Hamtramck or Highland Park student to be profiled, send information with a telephone number to On Detroit, 615 W. Lafayette, Detroit, Mich. 48226; fax to (313) 222-2335 or call (313) 222-2650.

• messenger
    messenger

. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/headline/entertainment/1367723

April 15, 2002, 6:58PM

MUSIC REVIEW
    Prince revitalizes concert legacy
    By MICHAEL D. CLARK
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle
    It was less than two weeks ago that Prince announced he was bringing his One Nite Alone 2002 tour to the Verizon Wireless Theater on Sunday. With so little time for promotion and planning it was questionable just what the show would be -- and whom it was for.

Now we know. The show was built around The Rainbow Children, his new experimental jazz album detailing his conversion to the Jehovah's Witnesses. Not as easy a sell as Purple Rain, to be sure. Then, just to weed out the only mildly curious, he charged a hefty $86.50 and $126.50 per ticket (this from a guy who once sang Money Don't Matter 2 Night).

Prince tried this quick turnaround tour strategy two years ago in Houston with disastrous results. That show was a patchwork of poorly constructed and unsatisfying medleys. One Nite Alone took the opposite approach, carefully stitching a cohesive and seamless performance.

Backed by the New Power Generation, featuring saxophone genius Maceo Parker -- Prince's best ensemble since the Revolution -- the 26-song set was peppered with improvisation, familiar covers and the occasional fan favorite.

This was the roof-is-on-fire Prince show of '80s myth: nearly three hours of funk and soul that was like sitting in on an inspired late-night jam session.

"This is not 1984," said Prince early on. "So if you came here to get your Purple Rain on ... " His voice trailed off, but he shook his head as if to say, "That's not going to happen."

Dressed in a white suit and matching fedora, he opened by introducing the unconverted to The Rainbow Children. The mere thought of a sermon was off-putting, but here the message was secondary to the music. This is Prince's best album since 1995's The Gold Experience.

The title track and Muse 2 the Pharaoh are long sketches of brass-heavy, cool jazz-influenced improvisation. Prince would occasionally wax on about the symbolism of the number 13 or deliver a cryptic line like, "the opposite of NATO is OTAN." However, Parker's easy funk sax blows, coupled with Prince's soulful guitar, was universal.

Xenophobia is a new nonalbum track that couldn't feel more appropriate in an America on heightened security. Brian Eno made Music for Airports; this was music for airports with guards bearing semiautomatic weapons.

Opening with Prince robotically advising, "You have been randomly selected to be searched," its fuzzy bass-note spine was highlighted with the Artist playfully spinning futuristic Southern guitar.

It's usually other rock artists who adapt his music, but this night Prince did the adapting on A Case Of You. Working from originator Joni Mitchell's symphonic version, he gave it enough hiccuping groove-and-gospel varnish to introduce other influences.

Reliving the old-school Midwest funk of his earliest days on the new 1+1+1 Is 3, it wasn't a stretch to shift the jam into Love Rollercoaster by the Ohio Players. La La (Means I Love You) exchanged the original Delfonics' harmony for falsetto warbling, while Sly and the Family Stone's Sing a Simple Song got lost in a percussion- and fusion-heavy stew.

In the end, Prince's promise of no hits was a little bit of a hoax. Eighty minutes into the show, he grabbed his guitar and flicked out the post-punk disco riff of When You Were Mine. It was as if oxygen had been pumped into the room. It was followed by other '80s nuggets -- Take Me With U and a guitar-anthem version of Raspberry Beret.

Prince's eight-song encore featured him and his keyboard. Opening with his earliest Motown-inspired funk-pop hit, I Wanna Be Your Lover, he added greatest hits such as Nothing Compares 2 U and How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore (a can't-miss choice, considering that Grammy darling Alicia Keys is about to release her version as a single).

Breaking a promise nobody wanted him to keep, he left the crowd with a subdued keyboard version of Purple Rain letting the crowd serve as his gospel choir backup. Huddling with Parker for a final improvisation, Prince matched him strum-for-blow, adding to a revitalized concert legacy.

• messenger
    messenger

. http://www.newsday.com/features/printedition/ny-fthjp2657451apr06.story?coll=ny%2Dfeatures%2Dprint

People Of Faith

Sheila McKenna

April 6, 2002

TANYA THOMAS

Student at LaGuardia Community College; recipient of the Delores B. Chandler Memorial Scholarship from the Black Caucus of the New York State Occupational Therapy Association; Jehovah's Witness for 18 years and member of Hillside Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Jamaica.

BIOGRAPHY

Age 37; born in Brooklyn, raised in Jamaica; is to graduate in August from LaGuardia's occupational therapy assistant program; volunteer mentor in LaGuardia's College Bound program for fifth-graders; part-time enrichment teacher at the Little Red School House in Greenwich Village and a summer camp counselor; married; resides in Jamaica.

FOCUS

"Previous- ly, I worked as a temp doing different office jobs, and I didn't find it very rewarding. I decided to do something that was centered more around people and dealing with them in a more intimate way. My goal now is to be an occupational therapist, basically working with children. I'm a person who likes to interact with people. My religion has helped me there. Throughout my life, I saw people with special needs and disabilities as the people that I wanted to work with. If they need help, I'm there."

ON FAITH

"It has played a huge role in my life. I have faced a lot of obstacles, and God has definitely given me the strength to accomplish what I have so far. I always give him credit for that. He helps me to stay focused and helps me to be balanced and grounded. Based on the type of person that I am and from the faith that I have, I want to take that and use it in my profession. The fact that I have a spiritual foundation is a big plus in every facet of my life."

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

To quote the Church Layd "isn't that Special...."

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Is it me or do all those stories (except the murder one) have a common thread?

Slipnslidemaster:"I worked very hard and I earned all the attention I'm getting."
    - Anna Kournikova

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I guess it's just me.

Slipnslidemaster:"I worked very hard and I earned all the attention I'm getting."
    - Anna Kournikova

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit