Are You Prejudice?

by ABibleStudent 1 Replies latest social current

• ABibleStudent
  • ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    Excerpt from Prejudice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about a discrimination concept. For legal procedure, see Prejudice (legal procedure) .

The word prejudice refers to prejudgment: i.e. making a decision before becoming aware of the relevant facts of a case. In recent times, the word has come to be most often used to refer to preconceived, usually unfavorable, judgments toward people or a person because of gender , social class , age , disability , religion , sexuality , race / ethnicity , language , nationality or other personal characteristics. In this case it refers to a positive or negative evaluation of another person based on their group membership. [1] Prejudice can also refer to unfounded beliefs [2] and may include "any unreasonable attitude that is unusually resistant to rational influence." [3] Gordon Allport defined prejudice as a "feeling, favorable or unfavorable, toward a person or thing, prior to, or not based on, actual experience." [4]

What did you think this thread was about when you read the title? Did you think it was about social prejudice, legal prejudice, etc.?

How many JWN members have preconceived feelings about topics, people, or things based on previous experiences or things that they were told by people who they trust when they write posts to threads? I started this thread because in my opinion some posters on JWN express very strong opinions about some topics and I do not understand how they reach their opinions and conclusions. I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences or how they reach agreements with people who have very strong opinions but are unable to substantiate their opinions with references, or ask clarifying questions to reach a mutual understanding by being respectful of other people.

I know that I personally have prejudices and have to take deep breaths or to take the time to comtemplate why I feel the way I do. I know that it is hard for me. How is it for you?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

P.S. - I appologize for pressing the "Enter" key after I wrote the title to this thread. I tried to edit the first post, but the JWN editor would not let me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit