Prophets of Doom (interesting history podcast)

by fresh prince of ohio 5 Replies latest jw friends

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

A favorite podcast of mine for several years now has been Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Dan has a real gift for storytelling, and is a serious and humble student of history.

A recent episode (which I still haven't finished) deals with events that transpired in the German city of Muenster in the early 1500s, events specifically related to the rise of Protestantism and a millenial-apocalyptic fervor (with date setting and everything) that gripped a good chunk of the very, very religious populace, particularly the Anabaptists.

The JW parallels are obvious, as you will discover if you decide to give it a listen.

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive/Show-48---Prophets-of-Doom/Luther-Reformation-history

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Yes, this was a fantastic podcast! I listed to this several months back and was shocked at how closely this paralled the WT$ changing doctrine to keep people coralled. The lies deceit and twisting of scripture to keep the peons of Muenster subjugated and and on the path to mutually assured destruction has so much relavance to today.

Dan Carlin does an amazing job at really telling the story with all of the gritty and intricate details in a captivating way. Have you listened to his podcast "The Ghosts of Osfront"?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Aren't the Anabaptists one of the sects that JW's believed were " Bible Heroes?" Going D2D preaching, probably members of the "slave class?"

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I loved that podcast, amazing

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The Osfront was the first I listened to, yikes, I didn't know anything about the eastern front during WWII, it was so grim

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Have you listened to his podcast "The Ghosts of Osfront"?

If I have, I've forgotten about it - but I'm pretty sure I haven't. I'll be sure to check it out.

Cool to know that I'm not the only person on here that enjoys this podcast!

Aren't the Anabaptists one of the sects that JW's believed were " Bible Heroes?" Going D2D preaching, probably members of the "slave class?"

It wouldn't surprise me, given the similarities. But, typical of the WTS, if they ever did publish something about Anabaptists in this context, then they had to have gone pretty 3rd grade level on the details.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit