Invesco Advisers’ deal to buy the Brooklyn headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses

by Watchtower-Free 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/ross_for_jehovah_witnesses_bldgs_KOMLwtYiTfQj3e0Ly5fSMK

Posted: 12:11 AM, July 31, 2013

EXCLUSIVE

Billionaire investor Wilbur Ross is raising $75 million for Invesco Advisers' deal to buy the Brooklyn headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses, The Post has learned.

Invesco has emerged as the third - and dominant - investor in the $240 million real-estate transaction, which has been heralded as the borough's largest real-estate deal this year.

Invesco has teamed with Jared Kushner's Kushner Cos. and Aby Rosen's RFR Holdings. The deal is already in contract and is set to close on Sept. 3.

The Invesco Mortgage Recovery Fund will put 90 percent of the equity in the deal, according to a confidential July 24 memo to prospective investors from WL Ross & Co., which is affiliated with Invesco.

Ross could not be reached for comment.

RFR and Kushner will put up the rest of the $167 million in equity, while the Natixix bank has committed to providing $244 million of financing.

The property includes a five-building complex encompassing about 973,000 square feet of office and retail space located in the DUMBO portion of the Brooklyn waterfront, according to the memo.

It has served as the headquarters for Jehovah's Witnesses since the early 1900s. The group is selling it as part of a move to consolidate its operations in upstate New York.

In the memo, a copy of which was seen by The Post, Ross said, "The fund is comfortable investing the full equity amount but is willing to accept up to $75 million in co-investment capital."

Investors have until noon today to sign on.

[email protected]

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Here’s what I’d like to know: What financial stake, if any, does Watchtower have in any of the entities or in contracts with entities involved in purchasing it’s Brooklyn assets?

I can easily see Watchtower gaining capital by the sale of these assets and continuing to gain additional financial assets atop that by having a stake in commercial development of the same properties. There are so many ways of achieving such a double-dip that I can’t see Watchtower not having it in the portfolio. It could be part of a negotiated contract (aside from the selling price), or it could result from Watchtower owning a stake in one or more of the purchasers. Watchtower could milk money from these properties for decades to come.

Marvin Shilmer

• designs
    designs

No taxes on the interest or capital gains sweeet

I want my family's money back!

• scotoma
    scotoma

My mother gave the society close to 30 thousand dollars in the mid '80s.

At the time I was struggling and begging Jehovah for help to find an apartment for my family of 5.

The apartment I was renting became a condo and I had to move. Self-employed. No credit. No one wanted to rent to more than 2 kids.

So, apparently Jehovah wanted the printing company to get the funds.

My parents would never lend me the money for a house down payment. I never asked for a gift - just a loan.

At that point I quit putting money in the contribution box for anything.

I figure I gave enough.

• cedars
    cedars

If this deal is done then it means Watchtower has sailed comfortably past the 1 billion mark for its Brooklyn properties.

Cedars

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

SCOTOMA -- Unbelievable story! So sorry your parents were blinded so badly.

Hope your lot in life has improved!

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit