i took the scissors and cut away at the memories

it had to be done

my cutting only took it to just above the shoulders

yesterday a stylist took it the rest of the way

short as a boy's

new beginnings

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

This is beautiful; thank you for sharing. I have done the same at a few major turning points in my life. Very freeing.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

freeflyingfaerie:

My hair has been at many lengths over my lifetime. When I was a child, my mother would not allow me to have long hair. So, when I was a teenager I grew it long (between bra-length and almost to waist). I wore it long for several years and then had it cut and styled with layers.

I did the whole thing with perms, color and cuts for many, many years until 2005 when I decided to grow it long again. I got it down to waist in the back and raised a few eyebrows because I am older. But, I ignored all the idiots (mostly women). Anyway, I have cut it back to bra-length now because it is more manageable for me.

Even though what you did was radical, so what? Hair grows back. Sometimes you need a new beginning for whatever reason. Short hair is cute too. Enjoy this phase of your life.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

mostlydead~ thank you...it is freeing, in different ways

LongHairGal~ good for you on ignoring the idiots. Hair is a very personal thing, no one should try to control that.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Beautiful sentiments! I'll be doing that this year, when I celebrate my first birthday and cut my long hair for locks for love.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Gypsy Sam~ you will be one year old?! Wow, this new generation is so advanced, able to get online and type... I know what you mean..early congratulations on celebrating your very own birthday!

• talesin
    talesin

New beginnings!

Beautiful, and thank you for sharing.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Cutting away the memories.

Did It help? It sounds like your memories were painful. Did your memories go into the bin along with your hair?

To new beginnings. Missy

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

hi talesin :) thank you for listening~

Miss.Fit~ there is no way to really cut away memories...that would require slicing away at my brain or maybe some strong chemicals...if it was only that easy..

it would be more true to say I was intending to cut away the memories' power over me. I don't really want to erase my past. I don't have regrets, really. It was a combination of an ongoing mourning in a way, and a making peace with those that I associate with pain, from yesterday. I have felt for about six years now that I wanted to do this...release the energy held in my hair...my hair took on the vibrations of all that was experienced these past years.

When I was cutting, I felt very primal and tribal. It was a big deal to me because I identified very much with my long hair. It felt right to do this.

To answer your question, it is helping. In my mind, this physical 'ceremony' gave me a sense of power and a sense of something definite, more concrete than thinking about it. I keep liberating my self. I don't fool my self to believe this is it, now I'm all healed. It is a step, though.

Love to all the ladies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit