How Scientology Changed the internet - BBC article

by HB 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• HB
    HB

Thought some of you might be interested in this BBC article dealing with the ways that Scientology has tried to prevent ex members spreading negative information about their Church on the internet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23273109#

The various battles between digital rights acticivist and the Church of Scientology are covered, particularly in relation to Google and You Tube.

This was quite funny in retrospect:

Back in May 1994, at a time when most major organisations were yet to figure out how exactly to deal with the relatively unknown power of the internet, the Church's Elaine Siegel had a few ideas, outlined in a leaked email to "all Scientologists on the internet".

"I would like to ask your assistance in getting each one of you to post positive messages on the internet (at least once a week, more if you like), about Scientology," she wrote.

"If you imagine 40-50 Scientologists posting on the internet every few days, we'll just run the SP's [ex-members] right off the system.

"It will be quite simple, actually."

Or perhaps not.

Unsurprisingly, the Church of today is keen to distance itself from Ms Siegel's email.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

They're still trying though. Wikipedia has to blacklist certain IPs from editing their Scientology pages. It got so bad that all negative information about Hubbard, Scientology, and Miscavige was deleted, and positively cultish nonsense put in their place. Now Wikipedia must approve all edits about Scientology and their history.

• Giordano
    Giordano

HB thanks for posting this! It's a must read folks because it demonstrates how a parallel 'religion' has freaked out over the internet disclosures from former members and how this has contributed to their decline.

• mP
    mP

I wonder when will organisations realise that trying to coverup just makes the smell much worse. Surely this coverup attempts seem to have really burnt the S. i dont understand why they would persist with thtese tactics given how badly its turned out in the past. Perhaps their lawyers are sucking them for all their worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit