Apparently, we are all dishonest

by diana netherton 7 Replies latest jw friends

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I have been stewing on something all night and I need to vent. My dear Grammy's service is this Saturday and I am playing along nicely, planning on going to the KH and being respectful and trying to be true to my Grammy's legacy. She was truly the kindest person I have known and I know she loved her religion and the people around her.

However, my sister, who has decided to return to the JW religion a few years back after being so against it, is up for the service. That's fine. I respect her choice to be whatever religion she chooses, and if it makes her happy, then so be it. Who am I to say? She just can't keep her mouth shut about it, which is annoying, but that's typical. They can't help it.

Anyway, she lost her camera case and some money, credit card and a license. She left it at a lake. I called up there and left the information for them to call if it was found. I was hopeful...I said, maybe someone will find it and call. She immediately said, well, if they're a JW, then, yes, otherwise, no. I was stunned. I wasn't quite sure that I heard it correctly. The implication is that we're all dishonest. Seriously? I found a wallet not too long ago loaded with cash. I sent it back to the owner and paid the postage myself and never really told anyone. Until now. I am not sure how to handle this and I need advice.

The truth is, I know that she's up to some things that would definitely get her booted to the curb. However, I am not one that is in a position to judge anyone or tattle. But I am thinking that once this whole thing is over with my grandmother, I might send her an email saying that I am aware of exactly what she's up to, and while she may be fooling everyone else, she's not fooling me. And then end it there. I might also add that when she needs me (which she eventually will when she's busted) I'll be here, as usual.

Thoughts?? Opinions?? Thanks.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Interesting dilemma. With JWs there is the illusion that they are the only honest people on earth, but the fact is that ALL JWs are dishonest to some degree.

The fact that they profess a belief system based on lies is proof of that.

Maybe it would be better to find ways to encourage your sister to be true to reality and honest to her authentic self rather than continue clinging to a religion that is a facade of honesty.

Here are some threads you might find enlightening:

• Simon
    Simon

There was a case recently here in Calgary where a homeless woman found a purse with $10k in it (yeah, I know - who carries that around?!)

She handed it in.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/10/12/homeless-woman-find-purse-with-10000-in-calgary-turns-it-in

JWs don't have a monopoly on honestly, in fact my experience was quite the opposite - some are very dishonest and they do it over people's lives, not a pair of sunglasses found at the beach.

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

One of the local Goodwill stores here, found a large amount of cash in a donation lot. They realized the person who made the clothing donation didn't know about the money and have been on the news trying to find the owner, who donated the stuff.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

DN -

my sister, who has decided to return to the JW religion a few years back after being so against it

There's your problem right there! She's now in uber-dub mode.

Were it myself I'd totally ignore the comment. If her belongings are returned then you can ask her which congregation the honest person was from.

For now? Leave her in her delusion. There's nothing to be gained from challenging her as she'll just go further into her shell.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

That's a brilliant suggestion, Punk. Thanks.

• Ding
    Ding

I agree with Punk on this.

Right now she's buying into the whole us v. them mindset of the WT -- "We're good; everyone else is evil."

She has to see for herself that it's nonsense.

You telling her that right now would be counterproductive.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Condolences on the loss of your Grandma

Sister is just repeating what the Wt says.. According to them the world is populated by thiefs, junkies, whores and drug addicts ,and business climbers who will grind you in the dirt to get ahead. They have to say that in order to preserve the image of themselves as beacons of light..

How to deal with it ? I would laugh it off as the evidence of the poor soul's entrapment to the cult..Move on and prepare for Grandma's service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit