And you thought the witlesses are bad?

by WTWizard 7 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, they are bad. Dreams lost because of pious-sneering, opportunities lost because of the rules, vacations lost, missing holidays, and the dread of field circus are bad.

However, I have found information about a few even worse cults that are gaining traction. Now, these are not the "The world is going to end and you need to commit suicide to be saved" rubbish. In fact, they are not even true end-of-the-world cults. The first is the Boston Movement, or the International Church of Christ. An offshoot of the mainline Church of Christ, this cult believes that we must live exactly as Jesus would have and make the decisions Jesus would have, according to the leadership. You consult leadership with every decision. They want you to move, you move. At least with the jokehovians, you have the option of not moving or moving to your choice of several locations.

Yes, they have stupid rules. One is that music must be a capella, or without instruments. Another is that there be one church in each major population location, not several. You must seek permission from the leaders to date, and it has to be another member. No mere "marking", either, if you blow this one. Their threat is that you will burn in hell if you break the rules. And the pressure is even worse than the jokehovians--you need to bring in a certain number of people per time period. If they want everyone out on a given day, the Boston Movement insists that anyone not out is unfaithful. The jokehovians merely get shamed, if that.

One that really caught my attention is called "Twelve Tribes". In this, you live in a community where everything is communally owned. You thought the witlesses' resolution against entertainment in 2006 was bad? The jokehovians have yet to actually enforce it, though they do restrict it. There is no entertainment, aside their lame dancing and singing sessions, in the Twelve Tribes. You cannot read anything except church littera-trash (occasionally, however, people do read newspapers). You aren't allowed to listen to any music except what they come up with in church. TV is banned. In fact, you work for the leadership.

You thought those long boasting sessions of jokehovianism are bad? The Twelve Tribes have intentionally boring "teaching sessions", and if you are caught sleeping, you are forced to stand for the duration. These teaching sessions are 3 times longer than a cat lick sermon, which they bash liberally. Children as young as 2 are bound and forced to sit at attention.

The theology there is that their god will show up after observing the tribes perfectly obeying for 49 years. This includes small children, who are abused even worse than the jokehovians are. Like the jokehovians, they do not celebrate holidays or birthdays. Anyone that commits a "sin" is shamed into believing that they are responsible for their god delaying another 49 years. They also believe Jesus was a failure, and a Demon (Jesus was nothing more than a tool for Christi-SCAM-ity to enslave people). Aside that men and women are together in these tribes, the rules would look at home at a cat lick monastery--the Twelve Tribes is only slightly more sexually permissive, and they do not have church sessions in the middle of the night.

True, the jokehovian witlesses need to go. Also, the mor[m]ons, moonies, Seventh Day Adventists, and Scientologists--the major cults. But, every time a cult is destroyed, another (or several) come up to take its place. Bear in mind that these are not little tiny cults with double or triple digit membership. The Boston Movement has a stout 6-figure membership, and the Twelve Tribes is gaining traction in many countries. And both treat people even worse than the jokehovian witlesses do. I am not sure whether the Boston Movement celebrates holidays, but I am certain the Twelve Tribes does not.

• sir82
    sir82

I have often posted here that JWs have no monopoly on stupidity or dangerousness.

On the "religiously malignant" scale, JWs are about a 6 or 7 on a 10 point scale.

• Mary
    Mary
    Children as young as 2 are bound and forced to sit at attention.

Why do I foresee that in a few years time, members of this whacky cult are going to have numerous child-abuse charges laid against them?

• clarity
    clarity

People are litterally being driven insane by cults!

May be one reason why there are so many Bi Polar disorders!

Having "faith" is absolutely nuts!

You only need FAITH when you have NO PROOF or evidence!

>

It is wise to have DOUBT .....it can lead to truth!

clarity

• bigmac
    bigmac

cheese arse grice rules again.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Also, with the Twelve Tribes, their objective is to get 144,000 obedient men within that 49 year period. These can be recruits or born-ins, and these are to become the "bride" of their god Yeshua (I am not sure how they spell it). Meaning, if you are selected to be within that group, not only are you bound to the rules, but you are not able to marry. They restrict marriage to suit the cult, and they are extremely homophobic.

Plus, child labor. With the jokehovian witlesses, this is mainly peddling littera-trash door to door and working within the boasting sessions. The Twelve Tribes combines own businesses similar to cafes and stores, and children are expected to work within these. They work long days, and are pulled out of education after about the 7th grade level. They are all home-schooled. They also work recruiting at places where people in their 20s who are missing elements in their lives, usually the opposite sex, gather. Promises followed by being trapped in a cult--in this case, even worse than the jokehovians.

I wonder how many jokehovians, if they are not careful, end up in these even worse cults. This is precisely why I recommend much research and little commitment. Are you checking out that Church of Christ? Make sure it is not part of the Boston Movement BEFORE committing--and the pressure to join will be high if it is (some are mainstream, no worse than the cat lick church or regular Protestants). Any group promising to help you with an issue, but "needs" you to join the group to fulfill it, needs to be suspected because many a cult operates this way including both Boston Movement and Twelve Tribes (and newer cults that are too new to even make the radar). If you are not careful, you will wish you would have stayed put--having jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Better to remain unaffiliated, even if for life, than to join an even worse cult.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Wizard:

Yes, it all sounds very scary.

I realize the U.S. is the land of religious freedom but things are getting out of hand. It seems people will need freedom FROM religion very soon.

In my opinion, once a religion is a threat to society and the HOST country and is in violation of human rights, it has to go.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Another Social Experiment Gone Really Wrong....err.... Two wrongs don't make an airplane....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit