Supreme Court decision in Wisconsin

by ldrnomo 4 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ldrnomo
  • MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I wonder if the parents who prayed for their child to get better from diabetes were Jehovah's Witnesses...

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I will always be amazed that courts rule on weather a 13,14 or 15 year old is competent enuogh to decide to refuse blood and possibly die, when you can't drink alcohol until you are 21. The Adult age of 18...should be the age of decision to make life and death choices...especially ridiculous religious ones.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

The girl’s attorney, assistant state public defender Shelly Fite...

Interesting that the JW minor was assigned a public defender to argue that she should have been able to refuse blood. I'm not sure what the law is in Wisconsin, but I wonder if this was what they had in mind when whatever law was passed (which is probably why this would occur) allowing a state-paid attorney to be appointed to represent minors when they need protection.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Even if the minor has the ability to make a decision about medical treatment, can such decision really be termed an "informed" decision when information to help the decision making process has been deliberately witheld from the child ?

The parents who prayed for their diabetic child, to no avail, may well have been Chrisitan Scientists or similar, again, if their child had beeen consulted that child may well have gone along with the parents deluded beliefs having had no alternative ever offered.

To approve the decision of a minor in such circumstances is the same as approving the decision of an Islamic child to be a suicide bomber.

I hope Lawmakers wake up to the fact that deluded beliefs should not be taken in to account when life is at stake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit