Governing Body vs Watchtower Society Directors

by wisdomfrombelow 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

Since the Governing Body are no longer officers of the Watch Tower Society who has the real power? Can the Governing Body "fire" officers and have them removed from Bethel by their own power or does it have to be done according to whatever legal regulations there are? With all their subsidiaries, could the Watch Tower directors "kick out" the Governing Body from Bethel if they so desired? I know it seems very unlikely but recalling how Rutherford came to power makes me wonder where the real power is now and how that relates to the power in the corporation and who ultimately has control over the assets.

• blondie
    blondie

In 2000 the WTS separated the functions and positions of the officers in the corporations from the GB functions.

None of the corporate officers are GB members now and the corporate officers don't have to be anointed.

• SeventhSojourn
    SeventhSojourn

Basically, the WTBTS and its directors are just a "tool" of the GB. An insurrection among the ranks is not likely. Even if there was one, the GB would just replace the "trouble makers." They have total control.

"The body has never had a legal corporate existence and operates through the Watch Tower Society and its board of directors."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governing_Body_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

"Organizational changes at the highest levels of the Watchtower Society in 1976 significantly increased the powers and authority of the Governing Body and reduced those of the Watch Tower Society president."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizational_structure_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

"In 1976, all activities of the Watch Tower Society were brought under the supervision of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Tower_Bible_and_Tract_Society_of_Pennsylvania

SeventhSojourn

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

I was merely trying to see who is has the real power. Since the Governing Body no longer are directors I was going to try to understand how things legally are. The Governing Body is dependent on the Watchtower Society for all it's power. If they didn't have the powerful publishing corporation behind it they would have as much power as you and I. Before when they were the directors they were one and the same. Someone previously referred to them as a Judas Goat and if there ever was a power play I can't see how they would win because they legally don't have any power over the corporation.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I don't beleive the GB has "total control", as they probably don't understand the majority of the legal issues at stake in running an organization that large. The legal aspects of that corporation are not handled by the GB. As they previously stated so. Religious issues are now 2nd place to legal issues. Ever wonder why they stopped df'ing people for blood? It's not scriptual, it's a legal decision. Those old farts are props. Thats all

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

The ten kings gave their power away to the wild beast (God's Spirit Directed Organization) and will rule with it for one hour:

Revelation 17:12-14

12 "And the ten horns that you saw mean ten kings, who have not yet received a kingdom, but they do receive authority as kings one hour with the wild beast. 13 These have one thought, and so they give their power and authority to the wild beast. 14 These will battle with the Lamb, but, because he is Lord of lords and King of kings, the Lamb will conquer them. Also, those called and chosen and faithful with him [will do so]."

Jehovah's Witnesses Order Shake-Up

By Richard N. Ostling AP Religion Writer Monday, Oct. 9, 2000; 11:59 p.m. EDT

NEW YORK –– Leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses have ordered the biggest organizational shake-up since the evangelist sect was incorporated 116 years ago, saying it would help the 5.9-million member group expand worldwide.

The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, as the group is officially known, had been run by a so-called Governing Body. Now, religious and administrative duties will be divided, with three newly formed corporations running the group's U.S. operations.

President Milton Henschel, 80, and the group's six other board members resigned their posts on Saturday.

"The reason for the changes was both theological and practical," said public affairs director James N. Pellechia.

He said the Governing Body, now relieved of its administrative tasks, would be able to "concentrate more on the ministry of the Word."

Don Adams, a 50-year veteran of the organization, has been named president of the organization, and seven lower-ranking members will make up the new board. Henschel will remain a member of the Governing Body, which will have a rotating chairman rather than a permanent leader.

Until Saturday, the head of the Watch Tower society was always regarded as the single leader of the religion, dating back to founder Charles Taze Russell. He began publishing a magazine detailing the imminent end of the world system in 1879, incorporated the Watch Tower society in 1884 and ruled the religion till his death in 1916.

Watch Tower presidents have taken a lower profile since the days of Russell and his flamboyant successor Joseph Rutherford, who died in 1942. "I don't believe the Witnesses look to any one person" as leader, Pellechia said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20001009/aponline235956_000.htm

abe

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Kings without a Kingdom:

1 Corinthians 4:8

8 YOU men already have YOUR fill, do YOU? YOU are rich already, are YOU? YOU have begun ruling as kings without us, have YOU? And I wish indeed that YOU had begun ruling as kings, that we also might rule with YOU as kings.

abe

• ablebodiedman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit