PROPERLY and HISTORICALLY understanding the way the term ATHEIST is used

by TerryWalstrom 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

In Martyrdom of Polycarp (written following Polycarp’s death in the 160s CE) we find the explicit charge of atheism. The angry crowds shout out “away with the atheists!” in reference to the Christians. And, when Polycarp is brought before the Roman governor (proconsul) of Asia for final trial, Polycarp turns the accusation on his accusers (something more than “I know you are but what am I” is going on):

“Therefore, when he was brought before him, the proconsul asked if he were Polycarp. And when he confessed that he was, the proconsul tried to persuade him to recant saying, ‘Have respect for your age,’ and other such thngs as they are accustomed to say: ‘Swear by the Genius [guardian spirit] of Caesar; repent, say, ‘Away with the atheists!’ So Polycarp solemnly looked at the whole crowd of lawless heathen who were in the stadium, motioned toward them with his hand, and then (groaning as he looked up to heaven) said, ‘Away with the atheists!’”

What determines orthodoxy but the consensus of majority?

If all gods are acceptable and you believe in none but the one--your own--what do you expect?

On the other hand, as Ricky Gervais has said about being called 'atheist', "Of all the thousands of Gods we no longer believe in, I just don't believe in one more than you."

Poseidon, Thor, Athena, Zeus, etc. are NOT believed to exist in our own day and time. 

We are A-THEIST (without those gods) by disbelieving or nonbelieving them to be real.

Yet, there is no social stigma connected to this.

Logically, the greater the claim, the greater the proof necessary to substantiate it. The burden is on those who would convince rather than upon those failing to be convinced, right? Well, not entirely!

A rather poor instructor might fail to teach algebra, and that doesn't mean algebra has failed:)

For those who believe Christianity is for SAVING THE LIVES of humans at odd with the divine, surely the only possible emotion for atheists is one of great pity, lamentation, and empathy for their plight as lost souls. 

Nonesuch anysuch no such thing, however!

A great deal of disagreeable animus is forthcoming. Historically, the Catholic Church took a policy of torture as remedy for recalcitrant hold-outs! In Islam, beheading is a fit response to non belief in Allah. Of course, the old stand-by, HELL, is always waiting in the wings as well.

Perhaps I should offer my own views at this point.

What is the PRAGMATIC demonstration held out for non-believers as to evidence of brotherhood, acceptance, and love awaiting conversion?  Isn't the choice offered a gun to the head, in effect, MY WAY OR DIE?

God offers to protect us from. . . HIMSELF!

At least, that's the distilled take-away offered by Christian evangelicals, is it not?

God will kill you, so, better get on His good side.

In Islam, God is seen as less of a fluffy, huggable, knowable character. To fear God is to cover yo' ass!

Submission TO THE WILL of Allah, is avoidance of consequences rather than a communion of familial

warmth and eternal comraderie.

Judaim doesn't seek converts, Christianity is starved for converts, Islam is armed to the teeth and on the hunt for NON-converts.

Are these the best of all possible strategies?

Let's rethink the automatic, knee-jerk disdain and contempt for ATHEISTS, why don't we? After all--everybody is an atheist toward the majority of gods. Aren't we?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Reflectively within human history, the ones who said they were directly connected to the great almighty gods were the most powerful individuals within their select civilizations. 

Thankfully today we can express are non-beliefs without occurring much harm to ourselves.

Well maybe not completely  .    

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The term Atheist was used in ancient times, not for someone who saw no evidence for "god" and so rejected the reality of the concept of a real god, as is the case with us Atheists today, but for someone who rejected the rule of the local "god" and his laws and principles.

Hence the one the Scripture calls a fool, for saying there is no god, was not an atheist in the modern sense, but in the mind of the writer was a fool for rejecting Yahweh's laws.

It seems as though the human mind could not handle the concept of no Supreme being until after the death of Pascal.

It interests me how uptight the believers get simply because we non-theists exist, and their argument against us usually amounts to nothing more than attack in the form of Ad Hominem, because of course they cannot really put up an argument for god that stands.

The honest ones admit their position is merely faith, not reason or evidence, and they are usually the ones quite happy to co-exist with us.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Phizzy - "It interests me how uptight the believers get simply because we non-theists exist... "

Deep down, on a fundamental level, they're afraid you might be right.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    1. The trial and execution of Socrates took place in 399 BC. Socrates was tried on two charges: corrupting the youth and impiety (in Greek, asebeia). More specifically, Socrates' accusers cited two "impious" acts: "failing to acknowledge the gods that the city acknowledges" and "introducing new deities".
      Socrates was found guilty by a vote of 280 to 220.
      The philosopher initially offered the sarcastic recommendation that he be rewarded for his actions. When pressed for a realistic punishment, he proposed that he be fined a modest sum of money. Faced with the two choices, the jury selected death for Socrates.

"When Crito heard, he signaled to the slave who was standing by. The boy went out, and returned after a few moments with the man who was to administer the poison which he brought ready mixed in a cup. When Socrates saw him, he said, 'Now, good sir, you understand these things. What must I do?'

'Just drink it and walk around until your legs begin to feel heavy, then lie down. It will soon act.' With that he offered Socrates the cup.

The latter took it quite cheerfully without a tremor, with no change of color or expression. He just gave the man his stolid look, and asked, 'How say you, is it permissible to pledge this drink to anyone? May I?'

The answer came, 'We allow reasonable time in which to drink it.'

'I understand', he said, 'we can and must pray to the gods that our sojourn on earth will continue happy beyond the grave. This is my prayer, and may it come to pass.' With these words, he stoically drank the potion, quite readily and cheerfully. Up till this moment most of us were able with some decency to hold back our tears, but when we saw him drinking the poison to the last drop, we could restrain ourselves no longer. In spite of myself, the tears came in floods, so that I covered my face and wept - not for him, but at my own misfortune at losing such a man as my friend. Crito, even before me, rose and went out when he could check his tears no longer.

Apollodorus was already steadily weeping, and by drying his eyes, crying again and sobbing, he affected everyone present except for Socrates himself.

He said, 'You are strange fellows; what is wrong with you? I sent the women away for this very purpose, to stop their creating such a scene. I have heard that one should die in silence. So please be quiet and keep control of yourselves.' These words made us ashamed, and we stopped crying.

Jacques-Louis David, 1787
      The Death of Socrates

Socrates walked around until he said that his legs were becoming heavy, when he lay on his back, as the attendant instructed. This fellow felt him, and then a moment later examined his feet and legs again. Squeezing a foot hard, he asked him if he felt anything. Socrates said that he did not. He did the same to his calves and, going higher, showed us that he was becoming cold and stiff. Then he felt him a last time and said that when the poison reached the heart he would be gone.

As the chill sensation got to his waist, Socrates uncovered his head (he had put something over it) and said his last words: 'Crito, we owe a cock to Asclepius. Do pay it. Don't forget.'

'Of course', said Crito. 'Do you want to say anything else?'

'There was no reply to this question, but after a while he gave a slight stir, and the attendant uncovered him and examined his eyes. Then Crito saw that he was dead, he closed his mouth and eyelids.

This was the end of our friend, the best, wisest and most upright man of any that I have ever known"

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/socrates.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit