WW I, the Gentile Times, and the Last days...the not so exact science of chronology

by Separation of Powers 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Essentially, the JW position regarding the End of the Gentile Times and the significance of 1914 revolve around a principal element, namely, that the "Great War" (WW1) was an indication of the anger of the Dragon, i.e Satan, after being cast out of heaven per Revelation 12:7-9 and the start of the sign of the Last Days.

This has always been a sticky point for the organization....Why?

Because, based on their chronology, the Gentile Times ended in October 3/4 of 1914 with the Last Days commencing from that point on. But, before turning his attention to the vicinity of the earth, Christ "evidently" cleansed the heavens of Satan and his cohorts. I believe the old Revelation book (published in the 60's) speaks to the duration.

If the "kingdom" wasn't established until October 3/4 1914 and the Last Days are said to have counted from that point on....How could World War I be considered a sign of the Last Days when it began on July 28 1914, over two months before the supposed end of the Gentile Times and prior to Satan having been ousted from heaven?

Go ahead, ponder

SOP

• sd-7
    sd-7

Some folks say it was all a distraction so the world wouldn't "discern" Jesus' invisible presence. Because obviously, had there been no war, people would've paid rapt attention to Watchtower predictions, right? --sd-7

• Londo111
    Londo111

Satan and the Demons were ousted from heaven faster than light to Earth...thus they ended up a few months in the past.

• sd-7
    sd-7

LOL @ Londo111!

--sd-7

• wantingtruth
    wantingtruth

After studying the Bible I came to see/realize that God have ever known that He wrote regarding ancient events in an “hidden way” (Proverbs 25:2 ),

and so, He didn’t command to his worshipers to find the real/exact chronological data of events of human history (or about its empires and states from Adam until today)

in case He would command this , knowing how difficult is to come to a conclusion in chronology and how much time it requires , then God’s worshipers would be called “historians” not “Christians”

But now , a certain “chronology” still exist , and God does invite us to understand it , even in order to “know the judgement”

Ecclesiastes 8:
    5. "Whoso keepeth the commandment shall know no evil thing;
    >> and a wise man’s heart discerneth time and judgment" <<

Yes , it is a good thing to know the time of God’s judgement !

here are Jesus words / Luke 19:

41. And when he drew nigh, he saw the city and wept over it,

42. saying, If thou hadst known in this day, even thou, the things which belong unto peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.

43. For the days shall come upon thee, when thine enemies shall cast up a bank about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,

44. and shall dash thee to the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another;
    >> because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.<<

here we are able to see that is a good thing to be able to recognize the time of our “visitation” >> that implies a little but necessary knowledge of “chronology”

But, what (kind of) chronology ?

The chronology God requires from us to search for, is part of prophecies regarding “God’s people during the latter days”, as He said to Daniel
    chapter 10
    14. Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall
    – thy people
    – in the latter days; for the vision is yet for many days:

It follows that the chronology God is requiring from us/His worshipers to search for, is in fact
    THE CHRONOLOGY of "THE LATTER DAYS" !

Here is a research on the “latter days chronology”, as I was able to put it in english:

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The whole argument is stupid, remember they used the great war originally to show that the tribulation started, but by 1960's they said the tribulation was now a future event. The end times talked about by jesus says wars and reports of wars no big deal and until the great tribulation breaks out any war is irrelevant. So with this in mind ask any JD next time you see them 'hey since the great tribulation did not break out in 1914 and Jesus said wars and reports of wars but not to worry then is there and relevance to WW1?' Watch them get all weirded out and then run away.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit