Jehovah's Witness Murderer Sentenced to life

by Watchtower-Free 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2013/07/whitney_heichels_family_confro.html

Whitney Heichel's family confront Gresham woman's killer, sentenced to life in prison

When it came time for Clinton Heichel to address the man who murdered his wife, he sat silently staring at the killer, Jonathan Daniel Holt, for a long minute.

Jonathan Holt said he deserved whatever sentence the judge imposed.

Holt had just admitted kidnapping and shooting 21-year-old Whitney Heichel of Gresham and was sentenced to spend his life in prison with no possibility of parole.

Continuing coverage of Whitney Heichel, 21, of Gresham, who was reported missing after she failed to show up for work."What do you say to the man who has taken the love of your life?" Clinton Heichel asked. "My life has been ripped apart and turned upside down," because of your selfishness. "But know this: I will see her again," said Heichel, a devout Jehovah's Witness.

More than 60 members of Whitney Heichel's family and church attended Holt's sentencing Monday before Clackamas County Presiding Judge Robert Herndon. Holt pleaded guilty to aggravated murder, first-degree kidnapping and first-degree robbery.

The shaggy-haired Holt, flanked by his two defense attorneys, sat with his head bowed, through almost all of the 50-minute hearing.

Holt sobbed as the victim's mother, sister and mother-in-law told him how his actions had affected them. But his tears flowed most freely when Clinton Heichel spoke.

During the silence, Holt lifted his head three times, locked eyes with Heichel then dropped his head. "I wanted him to look me in the eye before I said anything. A man should be owning up to the things that he's done. You should be able to look a man in the eye. It's about as simple as that," Heichel said outside the courthouse.

Before the family made their statements, there was a brief recounting of the events that led to the life sentence.

Holt left no doubt that he killed Heichel. He confessed three days after the Oct. 16 murder and led police to her body. Holt told investigators that he waited for Whitney Heichel outside her residence at the Heatherwood Apartments in Gresham, where they both lived. They also were members of the same Jehovah's Witnesses congregation.

Whitney Heichel

As Whitney Heichel was leaving for work, Holt asked her for a ride. About five minutes into the ride, he pulled a gun and ordered Heichel to drive to Roslyn Lake in Clackamas County, where he forced her to perform oral sex on him. He then shot her four times, killing her. Afterward, he concealed the body on Larch Mountain.
    Heichel family members noted that Holt's family, including his ex-wife, who divorced him immediately after his arrest, also suffered . "Both families were forced to face the unthinkable," said Lora-lei Ritmiller, Whitney Heichel's mother

Ritmiller and other relatives recounted the pain and devastation of their loss, making frequent references to their faith and the belief that Jehovah would be Holt's ultimate judge. In a statement laced with Biblical references, Ritmiller said Satan was an invisible force behind such heinous acts and that Holt was "eager to be his puppet."

Chelsea Sauer, Whitney Heichel's sister berated Holt, calling him a coward, a liar, a thief, a pervert and a murderer. "We know what you are, the congregation knows what you are and Jehovah knows," Sauer said.

Holt made a short statement, saying he deserved whatever sentence was imposed on him. "All the things that were said about me are true. Because of my selfishness, I have stolen a daughter, a sister and wife," Holt said, speaking meekly and staring down. "I'm sorry for what I did."

Herndon acknowledged Holt's obvious emotional distress and commended him for taking responsibility, admitting his guilt and "not torturing your victim's family for months and months" making them await a trial scheduled for early next year.

"We got what we wanted," said Clackamas County prosecutor Steven Mygrant. "He'll be locked up for the rest of his life."

-- Steve Mayes

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Thanks for updating this story. It is pretty sad & pathetic

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Obsession kills.

Despite the fact that I'm mostly agnostic these days, I actually hope (believe it or not) that, one way or another, Whitney and Clinton are happily reunited some day ...

I also hope that the Heichels and Holt's former family can somehow reconcile, too.

BTW, do we know whether or not Holt was DFed? It would've been little more than a token gesture at this point, but still...

• sinis
    sinis

I wonder if she would be resurrected due to the oral sex, after all the dubs can't seem to get the whole screaming while being raped thing correct and flip flop...

• minimus
    minimus

all for a bj

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    sinis - "I wonder if she would be resurrected due to the oral sex..."

Back in the day, she might actually have been DFed if she'd lived.

With regards to resurrection, I've personally decided to believe she's in a better place right now.

Lord knows she deserves it.

• Emery
    Emery

Same here, a horrendous thing happened here. If there is an afterlife, I hope they're reunited aswell. I couldn't imagine losing my wife in this manner and never seeing her again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit