Internship

by Defianttruth 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

I hired three summer interns this year. All three are senior level engineering students from my alma mater. I had one working on a project with me and I asked him to replace a bolt on a machine we are building. He came back with a bolt that was too big. Then, he came back with one that was too little. I told him to get the right one. He would find it in the fastenal box in our consumables room. After, an eternity he came back and said, " I found a 9/16thsand it was too big. I tried a 7/16ths and it was too little and there is no 8/16ths in the box". I was laughing and pissed at the same time.

He made me think of the witnesses I was raised around. I don't know why, but he did and I was instantly pissed at him and can't wait for him to go back to school. I guess it's because I wish my family could look at the problem in front them and solve it. It really is that simple.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Oh dear, even I know what he should have looked for -- and I'm no engineer. Poor guy, I hope someone wises him up a little.

• earthfire
    earthfire

I hope he's just trying too hard and had a brain fart, otherwise he's in trouble.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

All I can think to say is, "yikes!"

And since you brought up the subject of internships, I gotta say that I was bummed that I didn't get an internship this summer. There were only a few that fit my situation. My interviews for those positions went very well, I thought. I was able to carry on technical discussions because of my work history besides the schooling. Yet the internships went to students that had no real work history and would have been clueless about the technical details discussed in my interview. And I was totally shocked with one internship. It was supposedly to train for a position opening after we graduate. I was seriously interested in the company, yet they chose a girl that admitted to me that she had no real interest in working for the company. She just wanted anything to put on her resume as a job. The only thing I can think of is that they weren't planning to pay much for these positions.

I've been trying to look on the bright side. Things have been going well for me this summer, but the whole internship thing was such a dark cloud that I haven't been able to shake. Your story has given me a laugh and I don't feel so bad about myself. I learned all about fetching the right size bolts when I was a little kid growing up on the farm.

And you can be glad he's just an intern and not a full-time committed employee.

• cofty
    cofty

Go metric!

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

BTB don't let it get you down.

Most positions like this are filled before the position is posted. In my case, one of my friends who is a department head picks them out for me. My company is small and my interns are treated like glorified shop hands and go-fors. You could make more working the summer at Burger King. As far as the girl getting the job never let that worry you. Engineering is a field ran by men so the girls are always treated with preferentially. If she's hot it makes it even worse.

I do have a rule about personal contact with jwn people, but I forget what discipline are you studying?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

DT, I'll send a PM.

• GonzoX
    GonzoX

Just be glad he didn't come back with a 16/32 or a 4/8 bolt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit