Sonoma State University Student Told To Remove Crucifix Necklace By University In Case Of 'Offending' Others

by Bangalore 3 Replies latest social current

• Bangalore
  • Sayswho
    Sayswho

I wonder how long or what will be the straw that causes a revolution (again) remember the American Revolutionary War?

It appears the only way to make real change is by force! Learn from history...or is there another way, if so what is it?

SW

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

its crazy when people on the left do things so outageous that it makes me agree with the right on an issue. i am liberal and i think the people on the hard right are loons, however, the people on the hard left are just as crazy, and this is a great example. if your necklace said "got hats f's" or some anti gay thing, I would understand, but just a cross? that is religious bigotry. and i am not christian. thats like telling a Jew to take off his Yamaka so as to not offend anyone.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

As an agnostic, I'm very troubled by this particular school employees attempt at censorship. With that said, there is clearly a market in media for what I'd call "outrage news". Whereby a story is utilized by some to stir outrage in a specific audience. (Case in point, the poster above alluding to a violent revolution)

From reading the actual news story it's apparent that the prohibition of wearing religious symbols is not the official policy of Sonoma State University. I do appreciate Miss Jarvis (the cross-wearing student) coming forward and reporting this incident. Hopefully this will motivate the University to ensure such censorship does not happen in the future.

By the way, your thread title is misleading. The student was told to remove the symbolic jewelry by a University employee, not the "University". Some may accuse me of splitting hairs, by I believe it to be an important distinction in order to get an accurate picture of what occurred so that we can formulate intelligent and thoughtful observations instead of emotional, knee-jerk reactions.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/university-tells-student-to-remove-cross-necklace.html

"University spokeswoman Susan Kashack confirmed to Fox News that the incident occurred and expressed extreme regret.

"Someone who works here was concerned that the cross might be off-putting to students who are coming to campus for the first time," she said, adding that the supervisor was "completely wrong."

"It was absolutely an inappropriate action for him to make that request of her," she said.

Kashack said Sonoma State President Ruben Arminana was "angered" by the incident and they are trying to contact Jarvis so they can apologize.

"The president was very upset about it and asked me to contact Miss Jarvis and give a profuse apology," she said.

She said they have spoken with the employee involved in the incident but won't reveal the contents of their discussion or whether he was punished.

"Things like this don't happen here," she said. "It's very unusual. People here are very aware of discrimination. It's possible that political correctness got out of hand."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit