ALL a mere process??

by Terry 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Phase One

One set of people listened to a wonderful thinker and marvelled at his words and the life he led and his kindnesses.

They were moved by him.

Most of the profound words he spoke were difficult and mysterious to the point of being elusive to the mind.

When this man was violently arrested, tortured, accused and executed the shock and awe was devastating.

What was the reason for all this--what did he really mean to tell us?

The speculation process began.

Filling in the mystery blanks with little guesses is a natural thing to do. An educated person makes educated guesses; an ignorant person

makes ignorant guesses.

The network of puzzled friends pooled their speculations using the ethos and mythos of the times as a background for further speculation.

Eventually, the man fit the background and a new myth was born.

Phase Two.

As a mere philosophical genius of great kindness began being transformed into a demi-god and religious figure--others who were disinterested 3rd parties

offered cynical rebuffs and skeptical question arose.

Apologetics was born! The explainers began explaining and the necessity of convincing skeptics upped the ante on convincing them.

Like a fisherman telling of the wonderful fish he had caught -the size of the fish changed and changed and grew gigantically into a legendary size.

Mere kindnesses became, step by step, event by event...more and More and MORE wonderful.

Finally, they were nothing short of MIRACULOUS.

Phase Three

Who can work miraculous deeds but a miracle worker?

Who is a believable miracle worker of great moral character who transcends mere genius but a divine personality...perhaps even a godlike man?

This process is called accretion. One layer upon the next; each time transforming imperceptibly into "other".

Phase Four

The word of mouth transmission of wonder stories (good spiels) Gospels stimulates written version after written version.

Years pass and the written versions are taken to be first person accounts and, therefore, ironclad confirmation!

Just like an old five cent baseball card left in a closet transforms with the passage of time into a collectible worth thousands of dollars by mere rarity and appraisal by fans---so too---the deeds and words of that modest rabbi whose life was filled with profound kindness was made into god himself and the words written about him into Holy Scripture.

What doesn't exist cannot be explained but what can be imagined can be imagined wonderfully.

All a mere process.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Amen, Terry.

• Cacky
    Cacky

I think it went a bit further. I think Jesus was in a state of shock and appeared, and he came to while in the tomb. Maybe he even had an NDE (near death experience). I think he himself thought he had been resurrected and his followers naturally also believed he was resurrected when he came out of the tomb. And it all began from there.

• Cacky
    Cacky

...appeared dead...sorry, I left out the word 'dead.'

• Terry
    Terry

See how easy the SPECULATION continues a theme ad infinitum?

Look at a very real event in my lifetime which is totally mysterious and which has generated millions of words and as many speculative narratives:

THE J.F.K. ASSASSAINATION!

Even though the actual evidence points directly at Lee Harvey Oswald, very few people today (when polled) say they believe he was

the lone assassain!

Why?

THE AMATEUR SLEUTHS and speculators have created a very complex narrative which has--by accretion--become a BETTER STORY than the factual events themselves!

For every fact in evidence a Question is asked and a What If is given.......

So far, we have:

The Cubans

The C.I.A.

Lyndon Johnson

Russian K.G.B.

Mafia

and so on.

A simple process!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit