Is "Old Light" really called independent thinking?

by I_love_Jeff 8 Replies latest jw friends

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

When "Old Light" becomes "New Light" sometime down the line the "New Light" will eventually become old. I do realize the Superiors use passages (AKA word magic) to explain such a big change. What would be the difference between Holy Spirit revelation vs. man's opinion in this particular situation? Since Holy Spirit never makes a mistake, are the Superiors actually using independent thinking and/or possessed by other spirits when switching from "old light" to "new"?

• Splash
    Splash

No, Old Light is also known as 'Some brothers even thought'...

Splash

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

"....................................crickets....................starting to get dark....................................no answers.......................................snoooooozing..............................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

The GB will tell us Old Light = "Misssss-Placed Zeal" or 'Wrong Expectations" =The act or state of expecting or looking forward to an event as about to happen...IN GOD'S NAME THEY MADE THE CLAIMS! However We See They were not wrong...SO JEHOVAH GOD WAS?

SW

• scotoma
    scotoma

It is a very revealing question.

If you accept the idea that Holy Spirit is guiding the organization you have to believe that the men in charge can't get their receivers to tune in properly.

Or you have to believe that holy spirit is operating erratically at a very low wattage.

• Sittingstraight1212
    Sittingstraight1212

Is there any scriptures that I can use, the next time my husband and I discuss this. What scrip might he use to prove jah has changed his mind on things? and how do i refute that?

• inbetween
    inbetween

James 1:17 might be useful

New International Version (©2011)
    Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

New Living Translation (©2007)
    Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.

English Standard Version (©2001)
    Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Pro-tip:

The phrase 'old light' may be a giveaway to apostate thinking/reasoning. I don't think that an 'in' JW would use that turn of phrase.

'The light gets brighter and brighter' is more how they'd put it. 'Old Light' is too cynical, I'm sure.

Just sayin' ... if you want to keep your cards close to your chest.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

It was previously thought. Now it appears...... Translation: We were right then bc Jehovah was "using" us and we are right now bc Jehovah is "using" us. We can mess up any and all "current understanding" bc soon the Holy spirit will reveal a "refinement".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit