I was watching "Equilibrium" last week (seen it before) and it striked me how much comparison there is with the "truth"
Here is the plot summery:
In a futuristic world, a strict regime has eliminated war (are we not in a spiritual paradise?) by suppressing emotions: books, art and music are strictly forbidden and feeling is a crime punishable by death. Cleric John Preston (Bale) is a top ranking government agent responsible for destroying those who resist the rules. When he misses a dose of Prozium, a mind-altering drug that hinders emotion, Preston, who has been trained to enforce the strict laws of the new regime, suddenly becomes the only person capable of overthrowing it.
In many ways we can compare it with how cults operate:
- start an ideoligy because something went wrong before (Russell/ Rutherford)
- the father of that ideoligy starts to hammer his ideoligy and uses emotional (and fysical force) (GB)
- use a "drug" to contain the ideoligy (Promise of a "Paradise" only by following the rules)
- use strong supporters of the ideoligy to keep it contained (elders, CO's and bethelites)
- make sure people can deliver you to the strong supporters. You know it can because they are still using their drug (standard JW's who report to elders)
Now... in the film... something happens... the stongest supporter of the ideoligy who even supported the death of his wife (disfellowshipped) starts to discover the deceiving and the menace.
- this strongest supporter becomes a betrayer of the beliefsystem and is going underground... (apostate)
- the strongest ex-supporter overthrows the beliefsystem (hero :P)
So... Equilibrium is a EXCELLENT film to support our cause! Go Preston GO!!!!