Rekindling My Spirituality

by Quendi 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

Today I took the first step to rekindling my spiritual life. As I have related elsewhere, I discovered the Metropolitan Community Church of the Rockies in September 2011. Its mission statement declares that it “is a church of the lesbian and gay community, our families and friends. We are not a traditional church; we are a vibrant faith community based on a passionate belief in God’s grace….Whoever you are, wherever you come from, come as you are…YOU are welcome here!”

MCCR serves Denver’s LGBT community through various outreach programs and community activities as well. So unlike WTS congregations, people are encouraged to get involved with other church members as well as their neighbors. I am very happy to be part of this again.

Since returning to Colorado in January, I had attended only one service at MCCR. I finally got back there today (30 June). My partner wasn’t feeling well and stayed home, but he is planning to start coming with me. Today’s service was so refreshing, especially the message which focused on what to do with the fruits of the spirit mentioned at Galatians 5:22, 23. The speaker also talked about the “works of the flesh” which Paul lists in the prior verses. But instead of fulminating against the congregation and telling them to get their act together or else, he encouraged us to ask God’s help in cultivating the kind of traits that would please him.

Since leaving the Witnesses, I have felt a spiritual void in my life. I seldom thought about spiritual matters and had stopped praying or meditating. But I knew that I didn’t want to return to the Witness way of thinking about these matters. My return to MCCR gave me the reminder that I personally needed a community to associate with; a community where I could find love and encouragement; a community where following Christ was emphasized; a community where fear and hatred were left outside and love and acceptance were not just preached and encouraged, but carefully cultivated.

This does not mean that I believe a person has to join a community to be a Christian or worshiper of God. I certainly think a person can go his own way and walk a spiritual path alone. It’s just that I also believe that we humans are a family, and that being part of a genuine community can enhance and enrich one’s life. Finding that again with MCCR is very good for me because the church has set up small working groups and workshops that deal with various aspects of living. For me, that means looking forward to cultivating the spiritual awareness that will enrich my life.

Quendi

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Quendi, Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you've found a place where you feel happy and connect with other like-minded people.

• Quendi
    Quendi

bttt

• Satanus
    Satanus

Glad for you.

S

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I know people that attend the Metropolitan church in the SF bay area. I am glad you found a place you feel good about, and an outlet for your spirituality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit