List of JW spin off groups

by QueenWitch 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

Is there a comprehensive list of JW or Bible Student spin off groups? No, I'm not going to join, just curious.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I believe I have seen such lists here on JWN. Maybe the JWN search can help?

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

A number of schisms developed within the congregations of Bible Students associated with the Watch Tower Society between 1909 and 1932. The most significant split began in 1917 following the election of Joseph Franklin Rutherford as president of the Watch Tower Society two months after Russell's death. The schism began with Rutherford's controversial replacement of four of the Society's board of directors and publication of the The Finished Mystery.

Thousands of members left congregations of Bible Students associated with the Watch Tower Society throughout the 1920s prompted in part by Rutherford's failed predictions for the year 1925, increasing disillusionment with his on-going doctrinal and organizational changes, and his campaign for centralized control of the movement. William Schnell, author and former Jehovah's Witness, claims that three-quarters of the original Bible Students who had been associating with the Watch Tower Society in 1921 had left by 1931. In 1930 Rutherford stated that "the total number of those who have withdrawn from the Society ... is comparatively large."

Between 1918 and 1929, several factions formed their own independent fellowships, including the Standfast Movement, the Pastoral Bible Institute, theLaymen's Home Missionary Movement founded by P.S.L. Johnson, and the Dawn Bible Students Association. These groups range from conservative, claiming to be Russell's true followers, to more liberal, claiming that Russell's role is not as important as once believed. Rutherford's faction of the movement retained control of the Watch Tower Society and adopted the name Jehovah's witnesses in July 1931. The cumulative worldwide membership of the various Bible Students groups independent of the Watch Tower Society is estimated at less than 75,000.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Student_movement

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

There's a Romanian lot that were behind the iron curtain for decades and when they came out in the late 80's or early 90's there were so many changes in doctrine they'd missed out on they could hardly recognise the religion so broke away and kept practicing the old ways. There may be others from former eastern bloc countries too.

• L3G
    L3G

Julia,

That bit of info is interesting. Would you please provide the reference so that I can follow up on it?

Thanks.

• Terry
    Terry

Hands down, the most interesting group is the CHRISTADELPHIANS.

Go to their discussion forum and you'll never meet a nicer group of people. Very similar to JW's but without the mean streak:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit