Ridiculous Hospital Experience Regarding My Non-JW Brother

by MrFreeze 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

So a couple weeks ago my brother went into the hospital. He went to bed one night and did not wake up the next morning. His wife called my mom and she said to call an ambulance. My mom rushed over and rode in the ambulance with my brother to the hospital. My sister-in-law had to stay with her son until someone could get him so she could go to the ICU with my brother.

So the hospital thought that he had had too much ibuprofen with too much alcohol. He had drank the night before and taken some ibuprofen because his back had been bothering him. When he finally came to he was out of it. He didn't know where he was. A day or so later he finally came to his senses. He didn't remember anything of the first day or two in the hospital. Doctors thought the alcohol and ibuprofen was the problem. Well he eventually was released but he wasn't feeling any better. He went to another hospital and they determined he had a seizure and ran some tests and found out he has epilepsy.

Now he is on medication for his epilepsy. Now I get to the part that pissed me off more than the wrong diagnosis by the original hospital who refused to look into it further than what he consumed the night before.

I was talking with my brother-in-law tonight and he informed me that it was noted that it had been listed on his information that he was a Jehovah's Witness. There is no reason he should have been listed as such. He was never baptized and in no way has ever indicated that he was a Jehovah's Witness. As I said before he was unresponsive on the ambulance. The only time anybody could have told them he was JW was on the ambulance. My mom has denied that she told them he was a Jehovah's Witness. I confirmed all of this with his wife. She said she had to fight tooth and nail to get that taken off his information. Here's what she said when I asked if my mom had listed his as a JW:

"Who else would have done it? Definitely not me... Your mom must have done it when she was in the ambulance with him. I arrived at the hospital shortly after them. I asked her about how he got switched to being a Jehovah's Witness. She said she had no clue. I know (my brother) was listed as having no religion before that. And i know (my brother) didn't tell them to change it. I had to go through hell to have it switched. I know you guys were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses but he hasn't practiced that for a LONG time!"

I have no idea what to make of all of this. I just wonder what would have happened if he needed a blood transfusion or some other procedure.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Since he was a grown married man, your wife has the say so, not your mom, so if his wife wanted him to have blood as needed there wouldn't have been a problem.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Hopefully there will never be a next time, but if there is, ASK YOUR SISTER IN LAW TO HAVE YOUR MOM stay with the child, while she rides with her husband. She is the one with the latest medical info., anyways

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

That's exactly what I said Shirley but still, for my mom to do something like that... and then lie about it afterwards.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Let's just say my sister just so happened to be on the other side of the country and could not get to the hospital, would my mom have the decision making powers?

• StAnn
    StAnn

Your brother needs a health care power of attorney. Would keep your mother from making any decisions for him. The hospital could get info from his wife over the telephone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit