Don't Cry For Us, Argentina.

by Englishman 4 Replies latest social physical

• Englishman
    Englishman

You might have nobbled the best player in the world, twice, but we will still give you a trouncing in Japan. http://www.itv.com/news/Sport12917997.html

Englishman.

• MavMan
    MavMan

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/world/2002/world_cup/teams/argentina/

Marcelo Bielsa must be envied by most managers, because he has it all at his disposal. There is an abundance of talent and skill in the Argentine squad, so much so that they could probably put two teams together that would challenge for the title. The boss normally deploys a 4-4-1-1 formation. He likes to use a mobile attacking midfielder (Claudio Lopez or Ariel Ortega) right behind his striker (Hernan Crespo or Gabriel Batistuta). There is also plenty of creativity behind the front men, with Juan Sebastian Veron, Kily Gonzalez, Javier Zanetti, Marcelo Gallardo or Pablo Aimar all able to turn the game on its head at any given time.

Key Player:

Juan Sebastian Veron. He is known as La Brujita (the little witch) for the way he glides across the whole pitch as if he were riding a broom. He scares his opponents, too, with his magical dribbling skills, elusive dummies and powerful free kicks. He has been a star wherever he has played -- at Boca Juniors, Sampdoria, Parma, Lazio and now Manchester United. He is Argentina's engine, working on overdrive to create chances for the front line. One of the best midfielders in the world.

Argentina is playing in its 13th World Cup. It was champion in 1978 and 1986, and losing finalist in 1930 and 1990. It has won 29 games, drawn 18 and lost 10.

Argentina is my pick to win it all. If Bielsa does not commit the mistake of rotating his squad too much, it should have what it takes to win the cup for the third time. Their midfield is the best in the world, with Diego Simeone covering Veron, and Gonzalez and Zanetti causing havoc on the wings. And with a "matador" like Batistuta or Crespo in the middle, watch out!

• Angharad
    Angharad

Yuri Geller (if thats how you spell it) - the bloke that bends spoons with his mind, was on the radio today saying that the nation should pray for Beckham's foot as the power of prayer will make it better[8>] - How mad is that?

After all it's a game right, whats the big deal? (running for cover now)

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

While I have always believed the Cup is just not as exciting without England and Germany in competition, I am forced to choose Argentina.

The brits may have "stolen" the Malvinas and Gibraltar, but the World Cup would be in better hands in Argentina and all England can hope for is a third, fourth or fifth place finish, at best.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hmm,

Beckham and Owen would be formidable together here, somehow I think that England are strong enough to make the finals.

englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit