Help me plan a birthday party for a 'sort of' JW

by skeeter1 7 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

A relative and friend of mine is turning the monumental "60" in 3 weeks. He has "studied" with the JWs since childhood, but never became a baptised member. Something is holding him back . . . . (vocal/apostate me?). He does go to the KH about once every 3 months, after a visit from those "Friends."

We have alot of mutual friends, and he's made it known that he's turning 60. So, everyone wants to know "when?" the birthday party is going to be. We're planning a surprise birthday over a supposed fishing trip.

I am thinking of having:

1) 20 of our closest, worldly friends

2) cupcakes instead of a birthday cake, or do I do the whole damn birthday cake?

3) do we sing Happy Birthday or another song?

Kind of like Christmas, where it's gift giving without and generic wrapping.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to do this? This person isn't a model JW. Has gone to Halloween parties, gambles, drinks, etc. The guilt consumes him, and then he goes to a KH. I don't say anything much about the religion, as he'll start defending it.

Skeeter

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I think you should do a BIG cake & sing happy birthday & have some helium balloons, & give him a big present too

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

That big present would be a Cobia CC boat. Can't afford it. He'll have to settle for a Duck Commander t-shirt. LOL.

• Sofi
    Sofi

Like the ones JW do, out of guilt, for their kids

- do it another day, not the specific day of his bday

- cake, no candles

-no singing happy bday

-gifts are fine, giftcards better

-invitations saying: a party at this person's house.... (not mentioning the bday)

or just plainly thow his bday party and screw the jw thing

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Maybe he would rather have the fishing trip.

• Scully
    Scully

You know what... if he was committed to the JWs, he wouldn't have Studied™ with them throughout his entire adult life without getting Baptized™. Something isn't computing for him. Perhaps he isn't the model citizen that JWs claim to be and he therefore feels unworthy of going that extra step.

But believe me, people who don't want their milestone birthday recognized don't go around announcing that their birthday is coming up soon.

I like the idea of cupcakes. Then you're not making a "birthday cake" which might freak him out a bit. But you are making several dozen birthday cupcakes... the more the merrier!! ;)

For birthday songs, you could go with the Beatles "Birthday" song or "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart, instead of the traditional Happy Birthday song, or choose from this playlist.

If you're going to do a surprise, have someone take him fishing to occupy him for a few hours while you set up the party, and bring him back for a BBQ/birthday party. That way he gets to go fishing and then enjoy a meal and everyone's company afterward.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

You could sing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" instead of the birthday song.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Have fun fishing. I agree with Love2Bwordly

Let Him eat cake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit