Do the GB go to meetings?

by zound 9 Replies latest jw friends

• zound
    zound

To those in the know, what congregation do the Governing Body go to?

Are they all in the same one? Is it in Bethel?

Are they all Bethelites that attend or 'outsiders' also?

Do they answer at the Watchtower like rank and files?

Are members of the public allowed to come for the 'public talk'?

Do they miss meetings much?

Are they enrolled in the Theocratic Ministry School?

If it is a congregation at bethel - do they have a contribution box in the hall? Do the GB donate?

Do they have 'priveleges' in the congregation?

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I will try to answer these to the best of my ability from my time there at Bethel.

1. They are in different congregations. Some go to The Heights cong. Some go to other halls. The older frail ones would all go to 107 since it was easiest.

2. The congregations they go to all have 'regular' pubs including the Heights cong.

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. No, but during the summer they all get sent out to conventions all the time so I guess they miss meetings then.

6. Yes

7. Yes. No idea if they donate. At Bethel we were encouraged to donate, which makes no sense whatsoever.

8. They do serve as elders. I don't know if any handle much in the congregation. I do know some of them would conduct the WT study. My guess is they'd be too 'busy' to do stuff like PO or Service Overseer.

• zound
    zound

Is 124 in the bethel grounds or just nearby?

So in theory I could visit one of these congregations for the Public Talk and spot me a GB member? Or are they a bit more concious of security etc (cautious not to let in some apostate with an axe to grind) considering they have a GB member within.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Yes. I'm sorry. 107 Columbia Heights. Part of the home. Yeah you can go right in. 124 Columbia Heights is the main part of the home so that's the number I had in my head.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

In one of the recent mags, it has Loesch front and center with his wife at a KH meeting during a WT study, it looks like.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Yeah they do that. As for security, The lock up certain doors and put brothers to watch entrances and exits to prevent non-bethelites to get to areas other than the KH part.

I was just thinking of what's going to happen with the firesale. I doubt they'd build a KH anywhere so they'll probably dissolve that congregation.

• zound
    zound

I can't imagine it would be a typical Cong. Surely it must be 'sanitised'? Not so much because of the GB member, but the elders I imagine would know they would have to perform, knwing they are under the direct eye of the GB.

I can't imagine JW youths coming in with bright shirts and sunglasses on their heads that happens sometimes in other Congs - and shenanigans of that ilk.

I imagine the congregation would be a 'buble'. The GB member looks around and thinks 'look at all these happy bros and sis's, we must be doing a great job!'

That's just what I'm imagining.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Aside from a high percentage of Bethelites it's seriously a normal congregation.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The mill hill cong was 'normal' in London.... Even had a resident cong paedophile....just your average hall......

"A predatory paedophile walked free from court yesterday after admitting a string of sex attacks on children, including an 18-month-old baby.

He pleaded guilty to 24 counts of indecent assault and gross indecency over 15 years.

Porter was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Portishead and Clevedon. He left the family home in Clevedon and moved to Mill Hill in London in 2000 after his mother died. Porter, who was supported in court by his wife, Joanne, confessed after one of his victims threatened to go to the police.

The church said yesterday it would support him. But it denied claims by Porter's sister that he would continue to come into contact with children through his religion and visit families.

A spokesman said: "He will be carefully supervised."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/aug/24/ukcrime.stevenmorris

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

The church said it would support him?! What about supporting his 24 victims? Argh, that is SICK!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit