How an old man envisions no more 1914 that everyone swallows

by sosoconfused 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

SO my dad and I went fishing and we got to talking about Russell and his demotion. Now my father admits that this change in doctrine screws everything up. Now I am sure someone here may have thought about this but he says, "Well if Russell is not inspired and that means 1914 is no go the next available date would be 1935 as a keystone for everything.

If they finally recognize secular sources and point to 586 or 587 they can now say that Jesus began ruiling in 1933 or 34 and selected Rutherford at that time. As a way to show that they had Jesus blessing as the chosen church through divine inspiration they seperated themselves from others by taking the name Jehovah's Witness just 1 year later...

Of course I was glad that he is thinking along these lines because I swear I can get him out or atleast continue to be my buddy - however at the same time the way that he raddled this off his tongue so quickly has me concerned as well.

This would remove Russell completely out of the picture... 1914 completely out and to a degree it could make some sense

• nonjwspouse
  • Ding
    Ding

If they switch to 1934, will the generations still overlap?

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

y dad had no idea about the generation change... Even the one from 95. He just supposed they abandoned that...M

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

There is some weird WT mentality that they should be able to

calculate the plans of God by dates and measuring times between

"key" events. I think the thing that releases and frees us from this

strange philosophy is realizing the point of Christianity is that all it

takes is love and hope and treating each other kindly, its not about

calculations or waiting for things to happen. How to get that across,

as simple as is it is, is such a complex task somehow.

The appeal of the religion is its "exclusivity" the "chosen people" idea

the we are the only ones, idea. Its like if we just stay here under this

box, we are safe, and we don't have to think very much or be responsible

for the outcome of our lives and we aren't responsible to help other

people who are not one of us. Many other religions do that, some wear safron robes,

others are wearing plain clothing and driving a horse and buggy, others have turbans

to distinquish them or other special clothing, all saying "we are the ones".

God loves best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit