Power?

by lost 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lost
    lost

I just finally figured out what it was. Power. I have read, heard and felt everyones posts here on what it feels like to be shunned.

If I was an ego maniac, so focused on my own everlasting, selfish survival, I could understand the 'power'.

But who of us here want to believe that? That humans have power over us. Is that why we are here? Simply because we don't believe in 'Evil' power anymore?

Our parents, our siblings, friends, who we love more than they love us?
    Or do they love us so much that they shun us?

Has Jehovah shunned Satan?

Jehovah had to watch his own Son die, but in the twinkling of an eye, his son was back with him, does he really know how it feels to live a life with the "hope" of seeing a loved family member again, let alone your most beloved son? Why did God only survive a 'twinkling of an eye'?..( I know this is the scripture used for the remnant..but wasn't Jesus of the annointed? )

So we have to watch our children, parents, family members and loved ones die, to see them when? No one knows...

But we are made in Gods image?

He hasn't destroyed his son Satan yet. He got his most beloved one back immediately, and never lost contact with him.

So what the hell?

I am losing faith...in the Organization...and their interpetations.

Lost

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I would agree that most of us here want to take back control of our lives from a dysfunctional corrupt system.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Disposable Hero
    Disposable Hero

Welcome to the board.

You lie so much you believe yourself
    Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

• Kristen
    Kristen

:Our parents, our siblings, friends, who we love more than they love us?
    Or do they love us so much that they shun us?

Welcome, lost.

I think quite a few JWs have inner conflict over having to shun friends or loved ones—and need to convince themselves that it's a *loving* thing they are doing, when really, it seems just the opposite of love, doesn't it? It's quite unnatural and unloving to act as if a person doesn't exist when they are standing in front of you, feeling bad enough already.

And the mixed messages:
    God is love... show loving kindness... be compassionate, be forgiving ... blah blah blah... EXCEPT to those who have erred and been given an *unworthy* label by men. And how much more difficult is it for one trying to go back and have to prove themselves to men for months or years of their repentance... only to be viewed and treated as if they didn't exist right in the Kingdom Hall. So sad.

I find very little love at all in that.

You are free here, lost. I hope you stick around.

Kristen

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

In my experience, even after you have been reinstated, most of the dubs still treat you differently.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

<<<<<<<<<<<<If I was an ego maniac, so focused on my own everlasting, selfish survival, I could understand the 'power'.

Good point. Very good point.

I've had a lot of time to think about all aspects of shunning. I've lived with it since 1981. I wouldn't want to live for ever if it meant I had to treat people like dirt to achieve my personal salvation.

Sadly most JWs don't think about all fascits of this practice. They take the line of least resistance, which is to do what they are told.

Welcome aboard.

Marilyn

• dmouse
    dmouse

Welcome to the board, Lost.
    Shunning, especially of family, is barbaric. Period.

Still, it is to be expected, since the bible warns us that people will come who 'have no natural affection.'

I take your point about God never having to suffer like we do...even though He sacrificed His Son it could be argued that it was really a token sacrifice, since God had absolute knowledge that He could resurrect Him instantly. This is a point that I’ve thought about but never seen discussed.
    I would like the ‘Christian’ viewpoint on this please if anyone’s got the time.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Well I am an egomaniac, and I understand why the watchtower uses shunning but frankly I think there are more cool ways to get power.

How about someone does something they and you consider wrong, and you sit down with them. How about your husband, wife, son, daughter, friend, cousin, minister, informs you that they are homosexual, and you have been against it your entire life, but you tell them, that's ok, I still care about you, and will still be here for you.

How about a friend steals something from you or borrows money and never repays, because they are in dire straights and you say, dude look its all cool man. Repay me in Tir ná Nog (which is what the Irish used to say)

How about listening to someone of another religion or thought process, someone completely different from you, and not deciding they are right or wrong, just listenin to their wacked out beliefs? (But Hygh calling it wacked out is deciding isnt it? Maybe for you but my beliefs are pretty wack so its all cool dude)

How about pointing out to people that an average child molester will molest seventy, yes SEVENTY children in their lifetimes. Point that out to one person every day, ask them to point it out. See the power rush that comes when we start demanding people are held accountable.

Kiss your wife, mine and I really dont get a long but it is a big power rush when we kiss each other.

Personally I think the power from these things is far more cool than say from shunning someone just because someone else tells you to do it. I am not of cours saying that it is wrong, my father is dangerous to me and my sisters, we shun him.

On a personal note the only person I really officially shunned because I was a witness was a ten or eleven year old sister. She had to have been baptised when she was about nine. I was fairly newly baptised, or just associating, I cannot recal. Now I look back and think of the mass abuse that I participated in. How many of us really think, now that we are exes, not about the abuse inflicted on us (none on me as I have stated before) but that we have done to others eh? And why is it so easy for some people to shun? Even people who are just newly associated?

Shout outs to lost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit