What flexibility exists when an JW sister marries an Unbeleaver?

by Quarterback 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

How does this work out? Does the christian wife now go along to show respect to her husband, in celebrating holidays, voting, Where does she draw the line?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

She shuns holidays in general, but can participate in minor matters relating such as going along to a holiday get together. A lot of it it's to do with conscience. I was on this situation for years, but with unbelieving parents instead. It's a fine lone between Jw conscience and wanting to get on with family.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Probably depends on the dynamics between the husband and wife.

I know a sister who takes care of writing and mailing Xmas cards for her non*jw husband. Prepares turkey and all the trimmings on Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays.

Her husband is a bully and she does these things in order to have peace.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Interesting

• Mum
    Mum

In the '70's, I was part of a congregation that had some sisters married to unbelieving mates.

One of the husbands was a sociopath, and he and his JW wife had been divorced and remarried about 5-6 times (no lie!). The kids were rebellious and behaved badly. I don't know if they're still dubs or not.

Another husband was a sweetheart who gave his family a good life. Eventually, he became a publisher. Not long after that, the whole family left the borg. The mom got a secretarial job at the university. The daughter became a French teacher. The son became a reporter, and has won a lot of awards. The daughter told me that she got to go to cousins' birthday parties as a child. The exposure to the freedom of being "worldly" was very beneficial in this case.

• Nathan Natas
  • Adventurousone
    Adventurousone

Quarterback Hello:

I guess she wants her cake and eat it too. Maybe he'll get her out of the borg. Time will tell.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Quarterback:

I think she has a lot of flexibility, and if she keeps her mouth shut she can do anything she wants. After all, her husband isn't going to tell on her.

This is probably one of the reasons the religion hates when a JW woman marries an "unbeliever". Actually, the religion hates when a JW woman gets married at all. They know once she is married that the users cannot bother her anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit