Fathers day today...feeling conflicted

by Balaamsass 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

6/16/2013 Fathers day in the USA. Feeling a bit conflicted.

As a youth Watchtower poisoned the the relationship between my "Worldly" father and I, and over time we became distant. Arguments over my "pioneering", going to Bethel, turning down a college, marriage to a "special Pioneer", serving where the "need was greater" put a greater and greater distance between us emotionally and geographicly. Dad was deeply hurt when we didn't have children because "The END was near" and the "bible says "woe to the preganant woman in that day".

I remember how incensed I was when he visited Bethel and tried to reason with me that Bethel was like Jones town. He begged me to leave, go to college, get a career, and build a retirement. - I brushed him off as an "unbeliever"...as did my JW mother.

Eventually he gave up on me, moved on, and started another family, and died of old age...surrounded by children, and grandchildren, in nice surroundings. His new wife didn't bother calling to say he passed. I had not realized the TRUTH about Watchtower yet but was sad and conflicted when I found out his death. He had an interesting life as a War Veteran, Spy, and Executive. I would love to hear his stories now.

THANK YOU WATCHTOWER for creating a religious cult nut..me. HAPPY FATHERS DAY DAD. WISH I HAD SENT YOU CARDS IN YEARS PAST.

Today I have other strange feelings. I have no children or grandchildren. Why? I bought into Watchtower false prophecies about the "END BEING RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER". TODAY I simply feel STUPID I believed all the hog wash and Watchtower double talk for so many years. I feel like an adult who believed in the tooth fairy or Santa Clause...actually I have only myself to blame in not using critical thinking skills earlier in life. Oh well.

I hope this post will help someone younger than I to wake up earlier to the TRUTH about the TRUTH so you will not have later regrets.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Balaamsass, that is a sad story. Unfortunately, it's been repeated countless times around the world albeit with minor variations.

I am alienated from both my father and my children due to this cult. My story about my father is similar to yours. All the years I tried to be an uber-JW my relationship with my father grew further and further apart. Now that I have learned TTATT I am trying to rebuild what I can of our relationship. But the damage has been done and there's likely little time left for us as he is advancing in years.

I am completely alienated from my children because their "loyalty" to the WTBTS is greater than to me.

I can't be too mad at them, I taught them these bullshit beliefs. Apparently I was better at teaching them beliefs than how to love.

I hate this fucking religion!

• Quendi
    Quendi

I am so sorry, Balaamsass, for your sorrow and pain, especially today. As our friend Oubliette has said, your story isn’t unique. There are many others who can say the same. The tearing apart of families and ending of friendships are two of the many crimes against humanity the WTS is guilty of.

My relationship with my late father took a somewhat different turn. Thanks to WTS doctrine, I dropped out of college only three semesters short of my degree in metallurgical engineering. It broke my father’s heart and I still remember him asking me why would I throw away my education and the opportunities it would give me. I could only lamely say, “The End is near and I should be involved in the Lord’s work.”

After my parents’ divorce, I moved in with my father and worked on building a relationship with him. I am glad to say I succeeded. We grew close and I could count on him as both father and friend. My parents also remarried and our reunited family had much joy. I remained a Witness, but the Witnesses I knew in the Deep South had a different take on family relations than the WTS did. The elders encouraged me to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family and how I could do so in good conscience. How grateful I am that I did so!

My father died in 1991 and the biggest regret that I have is that he did not live to see me return to college and get my diploma. He would have been so proud, and especially so if he could have seen me take part in the graduation exercises and have the privilege of giving an address.

This cult has so much to answer for. I still believe in the biblical adage that “as ye sow, so shall ye reap.” I may not live to see the day when the WTS crumbles, but I am confident that day will dawn. Until then, I am enjoying my life to the full and I wish the same for you, my friend. We cannot change the past, but we can learn from it to shape our future. My friend, you are well on your way to doing that.

Quendi

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thank you for sharing Oubliet & Quendi. It feels good just to get some of this weird cult stuff off the chest and realize it is a shared experience, and that simply sharing may help just one lurker to not repeat my mistakes.

LURKERS, PEOPLE NEVER FORGET KINDNESS ...SEND THE CARD AND CALL DAD TODAY!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit