2400 bottles of Spanish brandy for the bethel boys

by new boy 5 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

"The boys will just get druck! We better just keep that evil stuff away from them! Is what George Couch PROBLEY said.

It was 1973 brooklyn bethel. The summer of the international conventions. There were 10,000s doing tours of brookyn bethel the weeks before and after the convention.

Two 747s full of Spanish "brothers" went on tour at the factory. Armondo Maraquine took the leaders of the group on tour. At the end of the tour the head brother said "thank you very much we have a gift for you! this fine bottle of Spanish brandy!" then the brother said "we have one bottle for every bethelite!" "How can we get it to them?" "Well" Armondo said "I guess you would give it to George Couch [the head of the bethel home] He would be the one that would make sure every brother got his bottle." That night Armondo was in my room with that bottle of brandy, telling my roomate and me that story.-------------Well you guessed it, the 3 of us were the only ones that got a taste of that brandy.

I later found out that the guys in the Service & Writing Depts. were passing out FREE bottles of brandy to Elders in the local KHs.

P.S. we made $14 a month back then, the brandy was worth $9 a bottle. A quart a beer an a hero was the big splurge once a week for most of us, worth about $2.25.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

hmmmm...
    I guess I missed that by one year! :-))
    Randy

Net Soup!
    http://www.freeminds.org

• blondie
    blondie

And they don't use the contributions sent to Brooklyn on themselves, eh?

• TexSham
    TexSham

That's worse than not offering a reach-around.

• Satanus
    Satanus

SOB's!

SS

• Amazing
    Amazing

Someone who works at Bethel once told me that the 'unofficial' view of the top dogs was that of 'you can't trust anyone who does not drink.' His view was that booze, the one allowed JW vice, became the replacement for other habits, like chewing, smoking and snorting. But that was just his view.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit