Assembly/Convention Schedules

by Quendi 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I don’t know if anybody else noticed this problem. In Colorado we used to have a serious problem with scheduling circuit assemblies and district conventions. That may no longer be the case now that there is an Assembly Hall in metropolitan Denver, but I can remember when scheduling these events caused considerable hardship.

This is what I mean. It would frequently happen that a circuit assembly would be scheduled as little as three weeks before a district convention. Now, if you lived in the greater Denver area, this was inconvenient, perhaps, but really no big deal. Few of us used hotels for either event as they took place in venues that were an easy drive from home. But for Witnesses who lived in other parts of Colorado, these could create serious economic problems. Those who lived on the Western Slope (all of the state west of the Continental Divide) faced extra difficulties.

This was because they would have to travel long distances on their side of the state just to get to a circuit assembly. That could be as much as two hundred miles away from their homes. Then the district convention—which was always held in Denver—would be slated for two or three weeks afterwards. That necessitated a trip of three hundred or more miles for many and additional expenses. For many of these Witnesses, convention season involved considerable financial sacrifice.

When I would bring this up, it was pooh-poohed. Some said that this was an excellent test of Witnesses love for Jehovah. One elder admitted the difficulties this would impose, but said the scheduling problems arose due to the scarcity of suitable venues for these events and the demand for them. “We have to take any dates we can get,” he explained to me. It still seemed like a weak excuse to me. I wonder if that is still the case not only in Colorado but elsewhere.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

bttt

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, the assemblies were usually about an hour's drive from home for us. The conventions did require a 100+ mile drive (travel time varied from 2-5 hours depending on traffic), and at least $400-$500 extra expenses to pay for the room and food and gas for the trips to and from the convention site.

It wasn't until I had a family of my own that I fully understood how hard it is to deal with that kind of cost. I can only imagine how difficult it is for people who earn even less than I do, and I don't earn that much. Guess you could use part of your tax refund, if you're lucky in that way (*ahem* fortunate).

But clearly this is a hardship on a lot of people. I wish I could offer further on that, but my knowledge is limited.

--sd-7

• jgnat
    jgnat

We're remote. 160 kms one way, 200 kms the other way to the next town. Logic dictated when the local Kingdom Hall closed, the members would be associated with the town that is 160 kms away. Problem is, the District Assembly is another 300 kms down the highway.

So we've attended the District Assemblies 200 kms the other way.

Submarine Witness and proud of it.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

When Mrs. Dazed and I moved here to Colorado 9 years ago, we never knew where the conventions and assemblies were going to be held. For the first 3 or so years it was either held in Cheyenne WY or Golden CO or in Pueblo CO.

Speaking of the new assembly hall, here is a picture when Mrs. Dazed went last year. It was the 1 st year it was opened and the last time, most likely, she will be going.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Could you post the link to that picture again, dazed? It isn’t in your post. I remember going to Golden for just about every circuit assembly/special assembly day. I also remember going to Cheyenne for a circuit assembly—something I swore I would never do again.

It was a dispute with the management of the Pepsi Center that prompted the WTS to finally move district conventions away from Denver. First they used the Budweiser Center in Loveland. The program was held in an ice hockey arena which was cramped and uncomfortable. After I was disfellowshipped but still attending meetings, they announced they would be having the district conventions in Pueblo. The venue was the state fairgrounds and everyone hated it. I believe they are back to going to Loveland now.

My last district convention was in 2005 and I haven’t missed them at all. I’m glad your wife has decided not to attend anymore. She can definitely spend her time elsewhere to better profit.

Quendi

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Here is the photo again.

I believe they are back to going to Loveland now.

They had been going to Bud center up till last year. This will be the 1st year they use the assembly hall for the DC's. I hated going to Pueblo too.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I suppose you didn’t notice that this URL has to be typed in manually to work? You did not embed the hyperlink nor can it be copied into the address bar of another window.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

Here are a couple of reactions to the Denver, Colorado Assembly Hall (actually located in Aurora, CO) when the deal to sell land for the complex was announced. I thought these comments were spot on:

Oct 25, 2010

Just don't expect them to be part of the community in any charitable way, the way that actual religions are. They will instruct their members to be as thrifty as possible in the community, so that any and all $$ go only to the WBTS. Oh, and lock up your children, because they do send even violent criminals to your door. How that would inflate a home value is unexplainable, but can see why have nutcases around every weekend, could bring it down.

Oct 25, 2010

AuroraMom wrote:

No the WBTS looking to benefit by buying low and selling high? Why are they given tax breaks anyway? yup, they buy residential zoned property for cash, dirt cheap, then build the tax free building with free labor, and make the local congregations pay for it. as they hang on to it for a few years,.... then as they sell it, their lawyers agree to assist the buyer to get it re-zoned to Business as they rake in the dough....... then they find another cheap peace of property and repeat the process.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit