6-9-2013 WT Study

by turtleturtle 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

So I learned something by actually READING my Bible and looking up the cross-references.

6-9-2013 WT Study stated

We build hope in Jehovah’s saving
    acts by studying his Word. Strong hope
    enables us to resist apostates and their
    gangrenous “empty speeches.” (2 Tim. 2:
    16-19) Our hope will also strengthen us
    tosaynotothosewhowouldleadusinto
    conduct condemned by Jehovah.

(2Timothy2:16-19) 16 But shun empty speeches that violate what is holy; for they will advance to more and more ungodliness, 17 and their word will spread like gangrene. Hy·me·nae

′ us and Phi·le ′ tus are of that number. 18 These very [men] have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some. 19 For all that, the solid foundation of God stays standing, having this seal: “Jehovah knows those who belong to him,” and: “Let everyone naming the name of Jehovah renounce unrighteousness.”

′ us and Phi·le ′ tus are of that number. 18 These very [men] have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some. 19 For all that, the solid foundation of God stays standing, having this seal: “Jehovah knows those who belong to him,” and: “Let everyone naming the name of Jehovah renounce unrighteousness.”

The cross reference in the NWT for verse 18 is:

Corinthians15:12-14)12 Now if Christ is being preached that he has been raised up from the dead, how is it some among YOU say there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If, indeed, there is no resurrection of the dead, neither has Christ been raised up. 14 But if Christ has not been raised up, our preaching is certainly in vain, and our faith is in vain. . .

My point is, the WT uses the scripture in 2 Tim. to show that apostates (stubbornly holding to and spreading teachings different than the WT) are dangerous. What they don't tell us is that, in the first century, the "apostates" were teaching that Christ was never raised from the dead! That is a pretty big deal in Christianity. But, the WT would have us think that ANY "current truth" that is disagreed with and spread against is apostasy. Really? They are putting denying Christ was resurected with not believing 1914 was anything of significance!

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

Sorry for formatting problems.

• caliber
    caliber

2Timothy2:16-19)16 But shun empty speeches that violate what is holy; for they will advance to more and more ungodliness, 17 and their word will spread like gangrene. Hy·me·nae
    ′us and Phi·le′tus are of that number. 18 These very [men] have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some

The WT also had the resurrection "already happening "... in 1878

Proclaimers Book page 632 Testing and Sifting From Within ***

"Based on the premise that events of the first century might find parallels in related events later, they also concluded that if Jesus baptism and anointing in the autumn of 29 C.E. paralleled the beginning of an invisible presence in 1874, then his riding into Jerusalem as King in the spring of 33 C.E. would point to the spring of 1878 as the time when he would assume his power as heavenly King. They also thought they would be given their heavenly reward at that time"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Interesting too that in that Timothy scripture the two Apostates were "saying the resurrection has already occured".

Who today claims that "the resurrection has occurred" since 1914 ?

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

NWT cross reference sure does suck. It never held up!

Phizzy good point! because the WTBTS teach that most of the 144,000 are in heaven! Like anyone can prove that one. LOL

Oh but you just did!

That is a good one.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

NWT

Corinthians 15

22 For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each one in his own rank: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who belong to the Christ during his presence. 24

New Living Testament

23 But there is an order to this resurrection: Christ was raised as the first of the harvest; then all who belong to Christ will be raised when he comes back.

1599 Geneva Bible

23 [ t ] But every man in his ( I ) own order: the firstfruits is Christ, afterward, they that are of Christ, at his coming shall rise again .

Just thought I would throw in the above scripture about the resurrection and Jesus presence or coming. What do you think?

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

opps!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit