Cargo cults: scary indictment of human nature

by goatshapeddemon 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

During WWII, isolated islands full of aboriginal people were suddenly inundated with civilization far advanced from anything they'd ever seen. To them, it was magic from the gods. After the soldiers left, the islanders built bamboo planes and control towers and cleared makeshift runways and talked nonsense into coconut headsets. They marched around with fake guns, all in the belief that these rites would summon the planes carrying the cargo back to the islands. These religions still exist today.

This is scary. We as a "civilized" culture were physically able to watch (cause?) the birth of a religion, born from phenomena the locals weren't capable of understanding, but was in no way magical. You have to wonder ... Talking into a coconut to bring the magic cargo planes back is positively absurd to us... But really, is talking out loud to an empty sky and invoking the name of god or Christ to bring an end to suffering, sickness, war, etc. any different?

http://www.damninteresting.com/john-frum-and-the-cargo-cults/

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

gsd: " But really, is talking out loud to an empty sky and invoking the name of god or Christ to bring an end to suffering, sickness, war, etc. any different? "

So the "advanced civilization" is not so very advanced.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

That's the question...

Ever notice that even very rational people get very irrational on the subject of religion? If I try to set aside my preconceived desire for there to be a real religion, I don't like the answer things like this lead me to.

• prologos
    prologos

at least the planes with the rod circle and the white barred star actually delivered the goodies,

the now more advanced nation's religions actually never saw anything concrete, just stories woven from the talking snake as a start.

but the real creator has delivered, look at the sunset that just happened on the Pacific horizon.

• zound
    zound

David Attonborough did a documentary about it. I'm yet to watch it.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It is pretty interesting that the cargo cult still exists. Paul Theroux in one of his books talks about it, I think it's his book about the islands of Oceana.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit