Supporting "Babylon the Great"

by Quendi 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I hope somebody can answer this question. We all know that for decades the WTS has said that supporting any activity or organization which was sponsored by or affiliated with “false religion” was the same as being a supporter of “Babylon the Great.” Persons found doing so were subject to being disfellowshipped. That even included giving money to charitable organizations or efforts.

When I was still a Witness, like so many others, I looked forward to the March 15 th edition of The Watchtower each year because the times and locations of the summer district conventions were announced in it. I noted that one favorite location for them was the Athletic and Convocation Center in South Bend, Indiana. Being a sports fan, I knew this was the name of the basketball arena on the campus of Notre Dame University, the most famous Catholic university in the United States. I often asked myself if holding a convention at this site didn’t involve the WTS in violating its own policy against supporting other religions. After all, I’m sure the ACC was not provided rent-free so any money paid would go into the coffers of the Catholic Church.

I never asked any Witness this question but kept it to myself. I wonder now if district conventions are still held at this location and if so, has anyone ever challenged the WTS on the propriety of doing this given its longstanding opposition to and hatred of the Roman Catholic Church in particular. Does anybody have further information about this? Also, are there other facilities owned by religious organizations which have been used to host Witness gatherings?

Quendi

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Quendi-We used to hold our baptisms at the YMCA, and we know how a JW isn't supposed to be a member there. The borg made the excuse they were just renting the pool, not endorsing the Y itself...then came the UN NGO thing, so it is basically 'do what I say, not what I do.

• Quendi
    Quendi

bttt

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Quendi,

You can search current convention sites here: http://www.jw.org/apps/E_FRNsPnPBrt

You have a PM.

Oubliette

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for the PM, oubliette. The experience you relate and its aftermath were both very instructive. We’ll talk more about this “backstage.”

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit