Candace Conti: Respondent's Brief Appendix Filed Today

by DNCall 9 Replies latest jw friends

• DNCall
    DNCall

In addition, permission was requested to file an oversized respondent's brief. The brief should be on file by next week. Can't wait to read it.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to a good read too.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks for the news.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

BTT

• Gayle
    Gayle
    06/06/2013Application filed to: For leave to file oversized RB.
    06/06/2013Received: Oversized RB.
    06/06/2013Respondent's appendix filed. 1 - vol.
    06/06/2013Filing fee. $390 responsive filing fee check# 69236 from Furtado, Jaspovice & Simons.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/dockets.cfm?dist=1&doc_id=2025979&doc_no=A136641

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Kuddos to Attorney Kelly I. Kraetsch for filing the brief quicker than the Watchtower. I wonder how long it will take to read both briefs? With so much to read, how do the judges wade through so many arguments and counter arguments?

I hope that the appeal is decided before 2013 ends (in Candace Conti's favor of course) so the Watchtower can celebrate 2014 by arguing before the Supreme Court.

Peace be with you and eveyrone, who you love,

Robert

• mind blown
    mind blown

Thanx for the update

• Gayle
    Gayle

So, with these "written" briefs done, will there now be "oral" briefs? I don't expect the WTS to "waive" an oral argument if acceptable by the Court.

The Court’s Decision

After both sides have filed all their briefs and had oral argument (or the date for oral argument passes, if everyone waives oral argument), the case is "submitted." If there is no oral argument, the case is submitted at the same time as if it oral argument had taken place. That is why asking for oral argument does not delay the case.

After the case is submitted, the court does not accept any more information about the case. The judges have 90 days from the date the case is submitted to decide the appeal. The clerk of the court will mail you a notice of that decision.

The appellate court's decision will become final in 30 days unless any of the parties disagrees with the opinion and files a certain kind of petition. If that happens, the court's opinion is not yet final. If you disagree with the court's opinion, click to see what you can do for options after losing an appeal.

After the appellate court decision is final
    The court will issue a "remittitur." A remittitur summarizes the decision and says if any party is allowed to recover some of the costs from the appeal. It also returns jurisdiction (legal power over the case) to the trial court so the lower court can follow up on what, if anything, still needs to be done to carry out the decision or decisions made by the appellate court.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/12420.htm

• jgnat
    jgnat

It warms my cockles to see brief matched for brief in...weightiness.

• irondork
    irondork

How U.S. Courts Work, 101.

Thanks Gayle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit