Incomplete quote in this weekend’s Watchtower study

by Sparlock the Wizard 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

The first intro paragraph for today’s WT study (May 15 th , 2013 pg. 24) reads as follows:

“BY AND LARGE, Christendom’s churches have distanced themselves from God’s name. For example, the Revised Standard Version states in its preface: “The use of any proper name for the one and only God…is entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.”

The paragraph, as do many quotes in WT literature, does not reveal the entire cited source. While I do not own a RSV Bible, I was, however, able to find the quote within the “To the Reader” preface in my NRSV Bible. Perhaps someone can confirm if the quote is the same in the RSV one but here is the last portion of the paragraph containing the quote in its entirety:

“Although the American Standard Version (1901) had used “Jehovah” to render the Tetragrammaton (the sound of Y being represented by J and the sound of W by V, as in Latin), for two reasons the Committees that produced the RSV and the NRSV returned to the more familiar usage of the King James Version. (1) The word “Jehovah” does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew. (2) The use of any proper name for the one and only God, as though there were other gods from whom the true God had to be distinguished, began to be discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.”

It seems that the WT writers forgot to include most of the relevant information. Not surprising…

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

GOOD CATCH!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yes, it is almost word for word the same as you quoted in the RSV.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I hate the way they use quotes. The new creation brochure is one of the things that woke me up.

• allyouneedislove
    allyouneedislove

I have recently posted a question regarding the name Jehovah in the Bible.

What I don't get about the quote in the RSV is:

Of course Jehovah doesn't represent any form of the Hebrew used for YHWH. Jehovah is a transliteration. If one wanted to change YHWH to Hebrew, they would say Yahweh in the Bible. If they want to render the name into English, much like they have done for names like Jeremiah, Joshua, then Jehovah would be acceptable.

Right?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Well it's my understanding that even Yahweh would be a guess. I think that's the argument they make with point 1.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
  • DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Was the word "entirely" not in the quoted text?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit