Bethel doesn't look after it's own

by ekruks 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ekruks
    ekruks

It's not only Springsteen's latest song that is inaccurate, but Bethel certainly doesn't look after it's own.

I know it's very easy for us to what to criticise Bethel after our experiences, but if we are reasonable with the WBTS and approach this with an open mind, can we conlude it's fair how Bethelites are treated?

I know with any company if an employee breaks the rules, they have to leave. Being fair, I can't wave a finger at Bethel for telling those who break rules, sin, etc., to leave. The difficult fact is that Bethel provides not just work but also accomodation, so the person who leaves is left without anything. In the UK, if you have no permanent address, you can't get a job or even state welfare payments, and if you have no job, you can't rent, so unless you have a friend or relative to rescue you, you join the many homeless persons. However, if one wants to quit Bethel, they could plan it so somehow they fix a job first while they have an address, then sleep rough, in their car, until they get a flat.

What concerns me more is that if someone becomes ill, generally Bethel just throws them out. Besides the fact they can't get a job, state welfare or a room to live in, they are ill. What is this person meant to do to survive? How are they meant to buy food? After all the years of hard work they put into Bethel, they are on the street, no qualifications, perhaps now of an age that doesn't appeal to employees, and please don't say the congregation will be so moved with love that they take them in like experiences in the Bible.

Companies have to give sick pay to employees, soemtiems for months, even years, when there is major illness. Bethel doesn't give anything, while we all know it really ha money, with all its stock options (even if it's not a lot, it could work some retirement/illness plan). It's not thankful for Bethelites, missionaries and DO/COs hard work, but chucks most of them out to the skip like old machinery. Where is the love?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Jerhover will take care of them.

• mkvlevari
    mkvlevari

ekruks

When a person applies for Bethel, Knows very well that one day he or she will leave Bethel with NO qualification. This makes it clear that all who serve in Bethel now, have thought about theier future imploiment.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My father served in the 1930s and 1940s and that it outrageous. Because he did not serve in WWII, he had great trouble finding any job after Bethel. I asked why he didn't just get a job with a publishing company b/c he worked many factory jobs. His work did not count to publishers. Also, many of the unions demanded bribe money. They had no money for the bribe. The bribe would be the best way to go.

Compared to men who fought in Europe or the Pacific, I don't feel too sorry for him. I just don't think anyone explained any of this when he entered. They came looking for him b/c they needed large men. He entered Bethel with belief. The same can't be said for his exit. Yet he would never leave the Witnesses. The half-in, half-out was hard for me as a kid.

My mom also talked about food. They were so starved my gm would cook for them during the Great Depression. She also made large bags of sandwiches to take back to Bethel. No wonder she was popular.

• zeb
    zeb

and if a bethelite sucumbs to dementia? i read of a GB member who would walk around talking to his shoes. No plan for this eventuality but its "any minute now.." so there is no plan because that would mean not believing their own bs.

Yet hm JW drive cars? It is a fair chance they are insured against something that may never happen. But old age WILL happen but no plan.

blind wilful arrogance!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mkvlevari

When a person applies for Bethel, Knows very well that one day he or she will leave Bethel with NO qualification. This makes it clear that all who serve in Bethel now, have thought about theier future imploiment.

Spoken like a true Bethel alumnus. Any thoughts about your future "imploiment"?

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

It's brotherly love.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Lyman swingle... When I was there he came down to Saturday morning breakfasts with a kimono...

I also remember at lunch time he came in once... Picked up an entire tray of hello and then left

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

As I look back, a couple of things stand out to me.

They call it "Bethel Family", and they frequently fall back on that expression. We're MORE than volunteers. We're MORE than employees. We're FAMILY. On that basis, they expected us to give more to bethel than we'd give to anything else... and they expected us to keep the "family secrets." Just as a family will keep certain things quiet about what goes on inside the house, we were expected to keep our mouths shut about shocking disfellowshippings or disasters like construction mishaps. I remember several different lectures and morning worships where Sydlik and others told us how much they needed Lifers and that they were happy to have the privilege of taking care of old members of the family. But then I saw plenty of bethelites put out to pasture with nothing. It's a dysfunctional family.

Also at bethel, they know how to feed the ego. Being in bethel, we were reminded how special and privileged we were for being there. They couldn't really reward anybody with better pay, working conditions, or other things that you would get from a career. All they could do was build up what a wonderful place bethel was and what an extraordinary thing you were working together for that would take over the world and last forever. They still do the boasting, but for them to be selling off all the real estate and branches shows that WT is past its prime. How can bethel look after its own when it can't look after itself?

• Splash
    Splash

(1Ti 5:8) Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit