Is it proper to kneeling before adults?

by KSFernando 3 Replies latest jw friends

• KSFernando
    KSFernando

As per the Sri Lankan customs, Sri Lankan’s kneel before adults (such as parents, grand parents, teachers etc) to show their respect.

I have quoted some writings from JW literature,.

“In some parts of the world, it is the custom for young children to honor adults by kneeling respectfully when in their company. In this way, they do not stand taller than those who are older. In these communities, it is also viewed as an act of disrespect for a child to turn his or her back to an adult. Although respect is shown in different ways in various cultures, such displays of respect remind us of the Mosaic Law. This included the command: “Before gray hair you should rise up [in respect], and you must show consideration for the person of an old man.” (Lev. 19:32) Sadly, in many places it is no longer common to show honor to others. In fact, disrespect is the order of the day. God’s Word puts a high value on showing honor. It tells us to honor Jehovah and Jesus. (John 5:23) We are also commanded to show honor to family members and fellow believers as well as to some outside the congregation. (Rom. 12:10; Eph. 6:1, 2; 1 Pet. 2:17) What are some ways in which we show that we honor Jehovah? How do we show honor, or deep respect, to our Christian brothers and sisters? Let us consider these and some related questions.” (2008/10/15)

“Respect, Humility.Kneeling. The attitudes and postures of the Orientals in expressing respect for one another and especially when petitioning superiors were much the same as the attitudes assumed in prayer. We find examples of kneeling in supplication before others. This was not in worship of the person but in acknowledgment of that one’s position or office, with deep respect.—Mt 17:14; Mr 1:40; 10:17; 2Ki 1:13” (it-1 216)

However Sri Lankan Jehovah’s witnesses do not kneel before adults, they view that as a worship.

What do you think Christian view on kneeling before adults to show respect? And is it proper to Christian to kneeling before adults?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

With all the paedophiles in WT, I wouldn't advise it.....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They are so sheltered. The Orient is not a politcally correct word for Asia. The first day of class in a course titled, "Oriental Civilizations" we were told not to use the term. It is racist. This happened decades ago. Asians do not use the term.

Different cultures have different norms. Someone can kneel and also despise their elders. Respect must be earned, not mandated. Automatic deference causes much harm to individuals and countries. It is funny b/c Germany is an example of a deferential, modern country. The New York Times ran a color story concerning Pope Benedict's first return to Germany. Countless millions turned out. There was one arrest. No scuffles occurred over parking places. Even Germans remarked that it showed the national character.

In contrast, I see auto fights regularly in NY, NJ, and PA. I had tickets for Woodstock. What a nerd. Americans showed their national character. St. Patricks Day has always been a trigger for drunken violence in NY. Puerto Rican day is a close second. There was so much damage after one PUerto Rican day celebration that the city started demanding huge bonds.

These rules usually are followed in homogenous cultures with little immigration. I prefer a bit of a mess.

Once when I exited the subway on the Upper East Side a tremendous fight occurred. Thirty people watched. Heads were bashed against concrete. There were plenty of big men. I crossed the street to witness the incident with legal training. Men started tearing off their suit jackets. They were going to stop the fight in a large group. Suddenly, one of the fighters pulled out his NYPD badge and showed it to the crowd. It was ballet. He continued to fight so hard.. The men put their jackets back on. I thought the NYPD was cool to have such determined officers.

What if journalists showed deference to politcal candidates. The presidential debates bothered me b/c too much deference was shown. They can't be forthcoming with facts b/c they need the presence of these politicians for ratings.

Oh, I visited an Anglican convent by my college. I had no idea we had nuns. They were so bright. I was invited to eat with them. They bowed to the Mother Superior at the end. I practically fainted from shock. I never bowed to my mother. If I did, she would prob. have to go to the pscy er with the shock.

• Mum
    Mum

Welcome to the forum!

Customs and propriety are not as big a deal as people make them. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, etc. Just stay out of trouble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit