Why Hollywood is in love with the end of the world

by fresh prince of ohio 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Found this interesting - I've often (only half) joked that my viewing of the movie The Terminator (which had heavy pre- and post-apocalyptic elements) at age 14 was what led to my becoming a JW later in life.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50148079n

• zeb
    zeb

I watch from this far away and wonder what the hell is happening in the US. People are fearful. Their lives are in distress with bank collapses and job losses. (yes i know what its like to be out of work) thousands of war scarred servicemen returned and inadequate support for them.

People in fear of the government and much talk of 'camps' and omnipresent fear of 'when'..'if'. and so on.

This has created a fertile ground to market $$$ such films. But that is what puzzles me who the hell wants to go and see such movies? the totally lost live for the minute no hope no personal see able future? Are these films become training guides for surviving the end that is expected?

It is just so sad.

My love and big hugs to all.

Zeb

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

i think the appeal of the movies is that they cartoon-ify it all. Nobody would go see Global Warming: The Movie, where the fallout from increasing C02 and methane levels gradually wipe out all life on earth by the 25th century. No, they wanna see Tom Cruise kick ass and take names. Just so happens that the end-of-the-world happens to be the current backdrop du jour. Which I guess that says a lot about the general mood in this country.

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

the end of the world generates a lot of $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $! !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit