Another Pet Peeve About District Conventions

by EmptyInside 8 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,I haven't been to a convention since I started posting here. But,since my family is attending one soon,I was having flashbacks.

One of the many things that would irritate me would be running into old, so-called friends. These are ones that while in the same congregation we were close,but then,once they moved,nothing.

And it's usually them just still living five minutes away,but since they go to another hall and can't be bothered now. When they see me,they act like I'm some long lost relative and go in for a hug. But,it just irritates me,because it's not like we live in different cities or countries,they still live 5-10 minutes away. I just usually waved and moved along.

But,anyway,I'm glad I will be missing another convention. The whole experience is draining to me. I feel for those who feel they must attend another year.

I especially won't miss being called a mentally diseased apostate either,lol.

Wow,this will be my 4th year of not attending,something to celebrate I say. I guess conventions are not all bad,the last convention I attended was the final straw that woke me up.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Wow,this will be my 4th year of not attending,something to celebrate I say. I guess conventions are not all bad,the last convention I attended was the final straw that woke me up.
    EmptyInside

I liked that piece. Also think about the needless amount of money you would have contributed, spent on hotel and meal bills as well as gas or airfare whichever mean you used.

Scott77

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That is pretty normal for those kinds of friendships, whether in the organization or out of it. I call them situational friendships, like neighbors or work friends. You may like people, enjoy working (or whatever) with them, but it doesn't necessarily translate to true lifelong friendship. I think it's a bit worse with the dubs because they keep you so busy, you don't have time or energy to maintain friendships, especially if they aren't in your congregation, but really, it happens to everyone. It is what it is, I wouldn't take it personal. It's better to develop true friends, who like you for yourself, and not just because you happen to be in the same congregation. Friends like that are few and far between for me, but they are worth more than a hundred hundred situational friendships.

District conventions were impossible for me the last few years in the org. Having health problems and missing a lot of meetings I had few friends in my congregation, and I had not been that long in the area. My kids grew up and moved out, my ex husband was disfellowshipped. I have never felt more lonely that sitting by myself through a convention. It was good though, because I started to see the religion for what it was.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac
    I think it's a bit worse with the dubs because they keep you so busy, you don't have time or energy to maintain friendships, especially if they aren't in your congregation

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading through your post. No time to do much socializing. If they don't see you incidentally at the same time and place they're wasting their lives at... well...

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    I have never felt more lonely that sitting by myself through a convention. It was good though, because I started to see the religion for what it was.

You find out what you are made of or what is really important to you when you are alone in a crowd. One of the hardest things for some people to do is to sit by themselves in a restaurant or go to a movie alone. Some adults have never done this. I think if every JW attended an entire assembly alone in a place where they knew no one, they wouldn't be distracted by the social niceties and would pay more attention to what is really being said. They'd be able to examine their true motives for being part of this religion and determine if they are part of it based on the merit of it's doctrines and teachings or because they are going along with the peer group they happened to be part of. If you are sitting in a auditorium full of strangers you are able to be far more objective about the program than you are when you are surrounded by individuals you know well and have social or emotional bonds with. There is a group mentality at assemblies that is nice in a way but when thousands of people are clapping their hands in approval of something that was just said but three quarters of them weren't even listening, it's a little scary.

• nicsfreedom
    nicsfreedom

I want to copy and quote so many comments from above not sure how tho, ha! Anyway, I had some strange flash backs after reading your comments. At countless assemblies I remember feeling like I was all alone, as if I was the only one questioning what I was hearing. I absolutey dreaded the last couple of years of attending. The interactions seemed so phony. My last assembly definitely sealed the deal for me too.

Reflecting on this is making me so grateful for getting out of them! TXS

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Auto-clap mode commence: Last talk of DC.

Inner thoughts of 75%+ 'let me leave, please!'

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" Auto-clap mode commence: Last talk of DC. Inner thoughts of 75%+ 'let me leave, please!' "

LOL!!

There are no real friends.

1) They serve the ORG.

2) True friends are not selfish. JW's want to pet Panda Bears. YOU will not interfere with that ultimate goal.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

WOW, I can't believe you've been out for four years! You are such a lovely young woman, and I can't imagine ignoring you if you lived ten minutes from me. It's their loss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit