Insightful quote on blind devotion ... but what was it exactly?

by MrMonroe 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

I have the feeling it was Ray Franz who wrote it, but search as hard as I can, I can't find it!

There is a quote in the pile of books I have about the JWs that says something along the line of ... it's forgiveable that you may be sucked in to something you come to believe in, but there is no excuse for refusing to ask questions and discover the truth about something.

It was obviously applied to the blinkered view most JWs have about their organisation, therefore it is very hard to have sympathy for them being trapped in a high-control cult. They have the option to examine opposing views and put them to the test, but simply refuse to entertain such thoughts.

It was a succinct, punchy quote; it was probably Ray Franz, but could have been Jim Penton, Don Cameron or James Beverley. Anyone know it??

• clarity
    clarity

Hi ....seems to me you are rite about it being from Franz.

In the first pages of his Crisis of Conscience book, I seem

to remember something like that...he also said,

"If you don't stand for something, you fall for anything"

>

My book is still in a box after a move so can't get to it.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

clarity

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

A true quote and with the internet " truth Seekers" cant be accused of dragging there feet and hopefully, insuring a speedy exit from the organisation.

Yet some people need the security of having all the answers and they like the social club and maybe they they dont want to be "truth seekers" and the answers they require dont need to be truthful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit