So my children will meet my new partner.....

by jamesmahon 4 Replies latest social family

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

So I post here every now and again just to keep folks up to date with where I am at. I have thought about why I do. I guess it is because I like reading what is happening in other people's lives. Also because I know where I was and where I am now. I think there may be others in the same situation and it helped me to read about people going through the same and starting to come out the other side. It is also nice to post something that is good news.

On Wednesday my children will meet my new partner. She comes over from Germany. She has made no decision as to whether she will come over permanently as yet but my feelings at the moment are strong enough that she will that I think it is time for my children to meet her (I have known her 7 months)

She will only be introduced as a friend and I will sleep with the children while she stays. I went backwards and forwards as to when would be the right time - was it too early? My ex-wife certainly thought so but I knew I could wait until the children were fully grown and it would be too early for her. Classic case of I don't want you but I dont want you to have anyone else either.

In the end I thought I need to give my children as much time as possible to get used to her should she decide to stay. I also need to assess how my children react to her and her to them in as gentle a way as possible. I don't really have any concerns there. She is a children's social worker and loves children. Indeed when we first met I said my children will always come first and she looked at me like I was stupid to even suggest that they would not.

She has bought them a gift each. I am not sure about this. I know it will only be something small but I am a bit apprehensive how their mother will react. But on the other hand it would be normal if I had a friend staying that they would bring a small something for my children so they would think it nice but not unusual.

Anyway. I am sure it will turn out well. I feel I am starting to feel like myself again. Still a long way to go but getting there.

I had forgotten how much I liked me. Which is easy when you have years of someone telling you why they don't.

Finally - Cofty - yes I did get your message and I live south of the border again now. I will forgive myself for being a ignorant git as I have gone through a bit the past few months but it would be nice to meet up.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good luck! It will help that she's a children's social worker and will be very qualified to deal with whatever happens.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Good luck and I wish you the best. Congrats.

• cofty
    cofty

Hi James - good luck for the visit I'm sure it will be fine. Its great to hear things are going well for you.

Anytime its convenient give me a shout, it would be great to meet up for a coffee/pint/cream tea.

• zeb
    zeb

If you are divorced from their mother then to hell with how she reacts to a small gift!

Happiness and peace to you both and the littleones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit