janis joplin on netflix

by fakesmile 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

if anyone cares, i caught a musicumentery on netflix about janis joplin. i recommend to any music lover. it has some serious from the heart interviews but was mostly live concert footage with the rare stuff. the title is "JANIS". its sad, i believe she was unhappy with her looks but had a beauty that trancended something so trivial as looks... also, her bad skin would have cleared up of she would have toned it down with the heroin and LSD.

another thing i noticed is the soul influence like a trippy white version of big mamma thornton. but she took the style and made it her own. she sang about the pain actual self loathing. if you can, you will appreciate that 1hr-45. peace

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That sounds interesting. I was in high school when she started becoming known, she was a very interesting person, I always wondered what she would have done if she hadn't done herself in.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

@ lisa. she might have become a "stevie nicks" or a "whitney h-town" gettin the $#it beat out of her daily. bear me out on this, i am glad that she went out leaving of us wanting more. her talent was to good to be sold for a chevy commercial because she blew her throat and needed to support her addiction.i also wonder about bradley nowell, kurt kabang, and jimi. im glad i never had to look at the news and see jimi involved in a high speed chase with white powder all over his face. these people came, contributed, and left. ill choose john lennon over jesus all day.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Janis and Jimi two of my favorites. love music that combines blues with Rock. Honestly I love most music even my teen grandaughters.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Can anybody shed more light on this musicommentary titled" Janis" ,is it a TV doco ? something that ABC or SBS would show ? Or is it a DVD on sale in shops ? it`s something I`d like to see here in the land of OZ

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

OK Ive just been reading up on netflix for aussies , need more time to digest it.

smiddy

• Violia
    Violia

I saw this years ago. Janis's life appears to be a bit like ours in that she could never get approval or acceptance . No matter how much she achieved- she was not ok with her home town religious bigots. There was no way for her to ever be ok with them. I think some of us feel the same, on one hand we despise jws and everything they stand for, but who does not want acceptance ? I think that concert she did in her home town was the end for her. It was just so painful to watch her being interviewed. What a waste of amazing talent.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was fortunate enough to see her in concert. There was a wonderful biography written about her.

I am glad that people remember her. When I was young, I thought she was the ugliest singer around. I felt embarassed tht she was so ugly. Now I look at her and the ugliness certainly was a stretch. I think we were used to seeing beautiful and unnatural singers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit