mea culpa

by outonalimb 7 Replies latest jw friends

• outonalimb
    outonalimb

Larc-
    Apologies to you for my random attack re: your post entitled My
    Research. Apparently there is something about your demeanor that I don't care for. I will keep my personal opinions about you to myself in the future. The ripple effects of my post has unfortunately caused some discomfort to others that I care about. A valuable lesson has been learned regarding the power of words, I'm sorry it was at the expense of others.

As a side note: The data in your research *was* part of a seminar that I attended at an Orlando training center in '97. Without the square root of course.

Mark

• larc
    larc

Mark,

I will have a chance to do a search on that name you provided tomorrow, and see if I can find anything that is published by him. If you saved your materials from you workshop and could find anything further, I would appreciate it.

The concept of the square root correction is discussed in tests and measurements texts, but it has been misapplied in many articles I have read lately. The way it is being used only corrects for half of measurement error, not all of it, and that, I think, is fairly fundamental mistake.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Mark: Your earlier post to Larc did not really concern or bother me. I do respect you for making amends with Larc, holding out the olive branch.

Here is the key that I believe is at the root of many online debates that become flame wars ... where you stated above to Larc, "

"Apparently there is something about your demeanor that I don't care for."

My own mantra in communication is how people determine from written words the 'demeanor' or 'state of mind' of the author of a post. It is nearly impossible. In virtually every thread I have read or particiapted in where flames started burning, I see this at the root.

Not too long ago, Farkel and I had a negative exchange where this was part of the problem along with incomplete information we both had. We ended up emailing and then talking on the phone. We go back several years ... and the phone call not only surprised each other with how we were able to fill in the gaps, but that our impression of the state-of-mind of each other was markedly changed ... we solved the problem and improved our friendship.

Unfortunately, before a similar thing could take place on this forum a month or so ago, to flames burned out of control, and there was no solving any hurt feelings and misconceptions.

Thanks again for posting an apology thread, as this sets a better tone at an early stage. I hope the rest of us will be able to copy this standard in any future conflicts.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Amazing,

I don't know Mark personally, but I don't think he meant another dig at Larc by saying that. If he did, Larc handled it well by just ignoring it and dealing with their issue at hand - the research. We would all do well by choosing our battles wisely and not falling for the "bait" some people dangle in front of us.

Andi

PS: I'm not saying Mark was "baiting" Larc at all!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Andi:

"Amazing, ... I don't know Mark personally, but I don't think he meant another dig at Larc by saying that."

I agree with you ... I did not see Mark as making any dig. He was stating his honest impression. My point is that the single-dimension world of the written word make communication difficult at best.

My thought was to borrow Mark's statement to make a point about how easy it is to read into written comments the state of mind of another, and that such impressions are not always accurate ... at least the risk is high that we can make errors in judging the motives of another simply by what is written.

This is why I used the example of myself and Farkel ... we both chose to take a matter off board, and talk personally on the phone ... and the added dimension of voice and immediate response made it easier to clear up several issues, and discover that we need not have had any angst in the first place.

Hope this explanation helps. Thanks.

• Xena
    Xena

Since I posted on the other thread...I figured I probably should post here too...actually I just like posting all over the place!

We all have so much to offer each other, it's great when we work together instead of tearing each other down!

Very impressive Mark and larc

• larc
    larc

Folks,

I did not take offense at Mark's words. I am a pretty confrontive kinda guy, both here, and in my real life, and some don't care for it. That's OK.

Hey Mark,

Was I being a wind bag? Yep, I knew it when I did it. Some people, not you, hit one of my hot buttons, regarding my age, degree of obsolescence, and the condition of my brain, (us old geezers are sensitive to that) so I thought I would show off a bit.

Hope your business continues to flourish.

Take care.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Was I being a wind bag? Yep, I knew it when I did it. Some people, not you, hit one of my hot buttons, regarding my age, degree of obsolescence, and the condition of my brain, (us old geezers are sensitive to that) so I thought I would show off a bit.

Larc I love your honesty!

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit