Delicate subject "Gay youths in the Boy Scouts.

by jam 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jam
    jam

First of all I,m not against gays, I have made a 180 degree

turn on my view on homosexual. I thought my son was gay and

I considered how will I deal with it. In the process I realize, he

is my son and my love for him will not change. He is not gay, but

I came to the realization I have been wrong about guys.

I feel the world is coming to a good place.

Now my question, youths at that age (sexual awareness)

what,s the future. Ok, Boy Scouts, camping trips. You can,t

house a young youth(gay) with the girls, because you would

have young boys saying they are gay just to sleep in the barracks

with the girls. At the same time if the youth is attracted to same sex

don,t you think this will cause problem for he or her.

A adult (homosexual it,s different) but a youth, I don,t know.

I really hope it works out and there we be no problems.

I sure there has always been gays in the Boy Scouts, but

now you don,t have to hide it.

• moshe
    moshe

I wonder how the military is doing since they changed their policies on homosexuals.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie
    Now my question, youths at that age (sexual awareness)
    what,s the future. Ok, Boy Scouts, camping trips. You can,t
    house a young youth(gay) with the girls, because you would
    have young boys saying they are gay just to sleep in the barracks
    with the girls. At the same time if the youth is attracted to same sex
    don,t you think this will cause problem for he or her.
    A adult (homosexual it,s different) but a youth, I don,t know.
    I really hope it works out and there we be no problems.
    I sure there has always been gays in the Boy Scouts, but
    now you don,t have to hide it

Don't the Boy Scouts also emphasize discipline and self-control?

Great opportunity for an object lesson!

• darthweef
    darthweef

Well as a gay man .. I can give you my impression of this.

First of all, if you stick a straight guy in a barracks full of women, while he may find some of them attractive, and may even indicate such to them, unless there is a mutual attraction, nothing is going to happen.

The same is true of gays .. I can be a locker room full of naked men, and maybe I find some of them attractive, but unless I know they are gay, and are also interested in me .. there isn't anything really gonna happen there.

As far as kids go, I would dare say that there is a plethera of sexual experimentation that is going on in the scouts and any other environment where you put a bunch of young hormonal boys together ... nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't make them gay. I think every one of my friends growing up explored things sexually with each other and myself .. none of them are gay. I am not gay because of those encounters.

So honestly, from the perspective of the kids, I don't think anything is going to change, and they certainly shouldn't treat them any differently than they would have normally... if it not uncomfortable for the adults, it won't be uncomfortable for the kids.

On that note, my biggest concern with all this, is that there is a huge difference between "tolerance" and "acceptance" .. Currently the BSA is tolerating gay youth and allowing them to stick around .. that doesn't mean that they are going to teach the rest of the kids to be accepting of the gays in their ranks, and I see a major upsurge of "sponsored bullying" that will occur within the BSA toward the gay scouts that are open about their sexuality. That will make me sad.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I'm too heterophobic to join any group to where I would only be tolerated and not accepted.

LRG

• jam
    jam

Thanks darthweef for your perspective. I didn,t

want to across as patronizing. Appreciate your input.

• darthweef
    darthweef

@Jam -- no worries.. I didn't feel like you were being patronizing. It's definitely an issue that needs to be considered, not because they need to be concerned about inappropriate behovior, but because they need to find a way to handle it so that it's as normal a transition as possible.

• matt2414
    matt2414

I agree with Darthweef. But I'll also add, that there have been gay kids in Boy Scouts since the inception of Boy Scouts, so really nothing is changing in that respect, they just won't have to hide their sexual orientation if they are mature enough to be sexually aware. No doubt throughout the history of the Boy Scouts a few of the gay teens may have felt attracted to some of their fellow members. However, we've rarely heard of any problems or incidents involving gay boys forcing themselves onto the others. Most boys appreciate that the goal of the Boy Scouts is to train youth in responsible citizenship, character development, and self-reliance through outdoor activities, educational programs and career-oriented programs. It's not Match.com. Remember, nowadays most young people already accept their gay peers. It's the older people - Scout leaders, parents, politicians, religious zealots - who seem to have a problem with it.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

delicate subjects ass. i once told a troop collecting donations "i cannot support an intolerant group". no shame. however it should be mandatory signed contract that due to the situation of men being unsupervised with boys... ANY suggestive, inappropriate, or deviant behavior will be met with the swiftest investigation and extra tough penalty...federal offense? that should make any pervs think twice b4 they sign up.

stop tiptoeing around because of pc. penalty on conviction should be full castration. some gay men just like the outdoors, being part of the community, and dressing up in those fabulous outfits, not wierd.

or, i have a better idea. parents, stop subcontracting your responsibillity. take the kid fishing and camping yourself. he will thank you later.

but if the policy has changed, i might consider tossing them my spare next time.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I'm glad to see the Boy Scouts moving in the right direction. I had hoped that gay adults would be allowed in too, and it will happen eventually. I don't think there is any "risk" to allowing gay youths or leaders to participate - gay doesn't equal pedophile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit